Join for free
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Sweetsue
midWales
Sweetsue is female  Sweetsue has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-07-2016, 11:03 PM

Re: What Toys did you have as a Child?

Spent a lot of time on my bike. Had a dolls house and lots of farm animals and spent hours making fences for their fields. Played with the paper dolls and their clothes and spent hours throwing a ball against the wall of the house. Also had a pekinese that I spent hours grooming and playing with. Happy days.
Hanfonius
North Wales
Hanfonius is male  Hanfonius has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-07-2016, 11:12 PM

My Uncle 'arry made a tank for me out of a cotton reel, elastic band and matches. I played for hours with that.
Somebody up the road made bracelets for the girls out of coloured insulated wire - rather pretty actually.

My introduction to communications was with two cocoa tins and a tightly stretched piece of string. (Later in life, I became a communications consultant, and I still get a pension out of it).

Most lads had stilts at one time or another, made out of wood that we stole from building sites. The same wood source enabled us to build 'trollies' with pram wheels.

One of my favourite toys was a tin frog that clicked when your pressed it.

Train sets and Meccano was for the posh kids. More in our line was bursting the tar bubbles you found on the edges of roads. Yer Mam would go made when you went home covered in tar.

There were many toys you could buy. I once had a ring with a rubber bubble which you hid in the palm of your hand. You would invite a friend to admire your ring, then squeeze the bulb and soak him with a jet of water.

There were a lot of lead soldiers around then - before they were given a bad press for being poisonous. Mine were all well sucked...
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2016, 12:19 AM

I loved toy sweet shops, my bride doll, my twin dolls in their twin pram. I loved my red telephone exchange.
I had a toy projector that l showed the neighbouring kids very short Disney films in the shed. I was about thirteen and l remember one cheeky boy gave me a kiss in the dark! I was so shocked, l pushed him flying!!
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2016, 12:33 AM

I was given this for my first birthday, apparently I hated it. It was just after the war and it cost my parents a fortune, this photo was the only time I sat on it. If you bounced on it the 'thing' walked forward.

My personal advice for parents buying a present for a one year old is buy something you really want and give the child the box - you will all be much happier.

The first toy I remember really enjoying was a Meccano Set; my ever growing collection of Meccano took me into my very early teens.
Pumicestone
Australia
Pumicestone is male  Pumicestone has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2016, 01:22 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UaEC-lWSlmI
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2016, 06:47 AM

Meccano, Jacks, Balsa gliders, Spud guns, little plastic planes you fire with a laccy band, marbles (liggys), and loads of home made stuff like bows, bogies, and spear chuckers.
Abbey
Chatterbox
Scotland UK
Abbey is female  Abbey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2016, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->
Did anyone ride what we called a jigger? It was just a board affixed to another one, two sets of wheels, and steered by rope. Powered by another kid pushing you!!

Great fun.

I also loved toy plastic animals. We had a shop down the High Street that sold them, or Woolworths.
We had one of them and called it a bogey .
I also played for hours with my plastic animals , mainly farm but some zoo as well . I also really liked my dolls, my teddy
and my trolls .
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2016, 08:24 AM

Bogies down my way Jazzi, never heard Jiggers before. Old ironing boards made a good base.

Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2016, 10:36 AM

Funnily enough just before reading this thread, I was looking at retro horror models of Dracula, The Mummy and the Werewolf. I had several of these and loved making them and painting them. Some of the originals still in the box can go for over £100 now.

Did anyone else like them?

My first love though was my Raleigh Chopper. These can now be found for over £1000
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2016, 10:45 AM

That much? I threw one away many years ago

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top