Join for free
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2016, 05:21 PM

Re: Would you get out

Originally Posted by Tpin ->
An officer doesn't need a warrant to enter any type of premises if he believes a crime is in process.
Indeed that is true however as the police have said they had no reason to believe he had committed a crime they had no right of entry. If anyone wants to argue the point I suggest the police boss who has put this man on to special measures is the person to contact, if he doesn't understand the rights of the force I suggest he's in wrong job.

It's all about why they stopped him and if he was committing a crime.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2016, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Indeed that is true however as the police have said they had no reason to believe he had committed a crime they had no right of entry. If anyone wants to argue the point I suggest the police boss who has put this man on to special measures is the person to contact, if he doesn't understand the rights of the force I suggest he's in wrong job.

It's all about why they stopped him and if he was committing a crime.
The officer believeda crime was being committed, he said so in the film.

I am not saying what he did was right but.....an officer doesn't need a warrant as you claimed.

If this were the case there'd be untold Criminal's getting away with murder, literally.

His right of entry is only questioned if a crime wasn't being committed and this would only become known after the entry.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2016, 05:28 PM

The officer believeda crime was being committed, he said so in the film.

I am not saying what he did was right but.....an officer doesn't need a warrant as you claimed.
He does to enter the car which is what he did when he smashed the windscreen. As I said the police accept it so I'm not sure why anyone else is saying they are wrong
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2016, 05:33 PM

He does to enter the car which is what he did when he smashed the windscreen. As I said the police accept it so I'm not sure why anyone else is saying they are wrong
So, a car is parked up, it has blacked out windows and an officer hears a scream.. He then has to go in front of a magistrate, apply for a warrent and return to the car.....in the hope that the crime is still in progress?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

18-09-2016, 05:50 PM

So, a car is parked up, it has blacked out windows and an officer hears a scream.. He then has to go in front of a magistrate, apply for a warrent and return to the car.....in the hope that the crime is still in progress?
No because in that case he has a belief a crime is in progress. He had no such knowledge in the case we are discussing.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2016, 05:52 PM

In the video it clearly shows the driver putting his key on the dash board indicating that the car was stationary and the engine turned off.
He also had rolled down the window.
Therefore any documentation could have been passed through the window.
He has the legal right to ask why he was being stopped .
As no one has been arrested it would appear that no crime was committed .
However the policeman completely lost control .
Of course we don't know what went on prior to the car stopping .But ,attacking a car windscreen with a penknife for no good reason is not the act of anyone rational much less a police officer.
The officier has now been put on restricted duties after an official complaint has been lodged .
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK

18-09-2016, 06:04 PM

No because in that case he has a belief a crime is in progress. He had no such knowledge in the case we are discussing.
He did, he suspected a banned driver was behind the wheel.

Once again I state that imho the officer lost it but it's a bold and incorrect statement to say a police officer needs a warrent to enter a car during a traffic stop.

I personally think it was a setup. Who'd think of filming a traffic stop?

The latest craze in the US is filming traffic stops and trying to get an officer to lose it.....compo, Wonga, $$$$
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

18-09-2016, 06:06 PM

He did, he suspected a banned driver was behind the wheel.

Once again I state that imho the officer lost it but it's a bold and incorrect statement to say a police officer needs a warrent to enter a car during a traffic stop.
Tell that to the police who were interviewed about this case. I have a tendency to believe them rather than anyone else in these cases. The man is being disciplined he didn't do the stop in a legal manner.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2016, 06:07 PM

Hi

I have to agree with Tpin's understanding of the law.

The Police have a right to enter as he says, if they believe that a crime is being committed.

In the instance of a scream from within a blacked out car, they also have a right to gain entry.

The law is quite specific on this, an automatic right of entry is conferred if there is a risk of self harm, as in preventing a suicide, or public health or the safety of a person or persons.

Think about it, it would be stupid if the Fire Service had to get a warrant to break into a house on fire.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK

18-09-2016, 06:09 PM

So you believe an officer needs a warrent to enter a car?
A blanket belief, no matter the circumstances?

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top