Join for free
Page 2 of 13 < 1 2 3 4 12 > Last »
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2017, 07:58 PM

Re: If You Were Referred to as "Lad"

The man in our local chippy always calls me "young man". Don't think he's even half my age.
Gravitas
North England
Gravitas is male  Gravitas has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2017, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by MickB ->
I've got a scouse mate who calls me "Lad" (despite him being 10 years younger than me). Other than that ........
It is Scousers I'm thinking of. I've been taking taxis quite a lot for years now and haven't been aware of this at all really. But the last couple have done it. An Asian bloke today.

I gave a youth who knocked on my door a couple of years ago a tip: if you are trying to sell something to someone over 40 years your senior, don't call them "lad" - at least if you hope to make a sale.
Val J
East Yorkshire
Val J is female  Val J has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2017, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
It's annoying but what else ?
Are you folks ok ( sounds too George Bush)
Are you oldies ok ( reason for inflicting GBH)
Are you boys and girls ok ( patronising nimcompoop)
Are you ladies and Gents ok ( bit of a mouthful and vaguely remincinent of public loos)
Are you good people ok -not bad !
Those made me laugh Muddy! I'm thinking they could say 'Is everything ok!' but that's too simple and I'm probably being old fashioned!
WE177B
London
WE177B is male  WE177B has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2017, 08:40 PM

My lover.

At least that was how I was addressed by an elderly lady cleaner when I started university in the west country too many years ago.

A bit of a surprise to me as a 19 year old man as she had to be best part of half a century older than me.

In reality her words were "Ow are ee moi luvverr".......

It took me a few days to realise that the Devonian meaning of the words were "How are you my friend?"....
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2017, 08:51 PM

I really don't mind what people call me as long as there is no malice in it. We had a lovely Cornish barmaid in our local who called everyone (male and female), "My bird."
Round here "Mate" is probably still the main form of address, although it is being replaced by "Man." My grandma used to call everyone "Duck" so I have a soft spot for that particular greeting. My Indian neighbour calls me "Boss" which feels a little strange but my Pakistani neighbour just calls me Mick. My wife tends to call everyone "Sweetheart" or "Darling" which is probably her Irish upbringing.
Tachyon
Internet Citizen :)
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2017, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
It's annoying but what else ?
Are you folks ok ( sounds too George Bush)
Are you oldies ok ( reason for inflicting GBH)
Are you boys and girls ok ( patronising nimcompoop)
Are you ladies and Gents ok ( bit of a mouthful and vaguely remincinent of public loos)
Are you good people ok -not bad !
"Y'alreet lads and lasses?" is short, sweet and socially acceptable in my region.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2017, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by Tachyon ->
"Y'alreet lads and lasses?" is short, sweet and socially acceptable in my region.
Tachyon, Is that where they trudge up the hill with their bikes to get the Hovis loaf?!!
Tachyon
Internet Citizen :)
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2017, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Tachyon, Is that where they trudge up the hill with their bikes to get the Hovis loaf?!!
Lol, no, but those Southerners would say it that way as well.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2017, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by WE177B ->
My lover.

At least that was how I was addressed by an elderly lady cleaner when I started university in the west country too many years ago.

A bit of a surprise to me as a 19 year old man as she had to be best part of half a century older than me.

In reality her words were "Ow are ee moi luvverr".......

It took me a few days to realise that the Devonian meaning of the words were "How are you my friend?"....
I think you'll find that is more a Bristol or Somerset accent
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2017, 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by Purwell ->
The man in our local chippy always calls me "young man". Don't think he's even half my age.
That winds me up also, have you considered "Battering Him"

Page 2 of 13 < 1 2 3 4 12 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top