Join for free
Page 4 of 40 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 14 > Last »
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2017, 12:19 PM

Re: Fire engulfs Grenfell tower block in west London

Originally Posted by Purwell ->
Cheap materials and shoddy workmanship must have played a part here but it should not have happened in this day and age.
Hi

We don't know that Purwell.

It is all to easy to blame the builders, but they simply do what the Architects say.

It could just as easily been bad design and supervision.

Somebody signed off this work.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2017, 12:41 PM

It could be the cladding, I know when my mils house burnt down it was cladding made it spread so fast, it forms a conduit for the fire to travel up the building in her case it was in less than 10 minutes ! That this has spread so fast makes me suspicious that they will find that as a reason for the fast spread.

I also hate the stay inside mantra all the councils are telling people, they have no idea what changes people have made internally that may make that extreemly dangerous.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2017, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
I wonder why they don't put a sort of fire- break after say, every four floors. Perhaps some fire -proof layer to stop fire spreading.
So many of these tower blocks were built in the 60's and 70's mostly from concrete, some get that concrete "cancer".
It looks like the outer layer of the building burned, you wouldn't think that would happen!
This block was upgraded in 2016 at a cost of 10 million, so I would think that it should have been safe, but people are suggesting that the cladding, put on to make it look nicer, was the cause of the rapid fire spread.

They believe it was caused by a fridge exploding in a fourth story flat, and it is reported that the Fire brigade were on site in 6 mins. The people on the 4th floor got out so I am wondering why a fire on that floor couldn't be contained. Something must be responsible for such a rapid flame travel, but I expect it will be a while before we find out what!
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2017, 01:27 PM

It's horribly reminiscent of the Twin Towers .
Bruv
Kent UK
Bruv is male  Bruv has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2017, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
I wonder why they don't put a sort of fire- break after say, every four floors. Perhaps some fire -proof layer to stop fire spreading.
That is how it should work.
Each floor should be protected by fire doors sprinkler systems and internal alarms at very least.

Somebody must answer to criminal negligence for this tragedy.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2017, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
It's horribly reminiscent of the Twin Towers .
I must admit that I thought it could have been a terrorist attack and London has been targeted a lot recently but, the man whose flat it happened in, knocked on all his neighbours doors to warn them.
I watched it on TV this morning and thought, the survivors were still in shock and shouldn't be interviewed, but then it seemed many wanted to talk. How awful it must have been for them to know that they had survived, but many of their friends and neighbours probably hadn't.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2017, 01:51 PM

I didn't think it was a terrorist attack just the blazing tower brought back all the horror of that day .
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2017, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
It could be the cladding, I know when my mils house burnt down it was cladding made it spread so fast, it forms a conduit for the fire to travel up the building in her case it was in less than 10 minutes ! That this has spread so fast makes me suspicious that they will find that as a reason for the fast spread.

I also hate the stay inside mantra all the councils are telling people, they have no idea what changes people have made internally that may make that extreemly dangerous.
Hi

One of the problems Councils and Housing Associations have is people making unauthorised alterations to flats, in particular the removal of fire doors.

It is not only an offence, but they are putting the lives of their family and the lives of others in the block at risk.

It is grounds for eviction.

One of the biggest problems is in the numerous low rise blocks where individual flats were sold off and the new owners replaced the front door, which is a fire door, with fancy plain wood or UPVC doors.

The purpose of a fire door is to protect the escape route long enough for people to evacuate safely and to contain the fire in a single flat until the Fire Brigade arrive.

In the last area where I worked all Council and Housing Association personnel , including maintenance staff, were required to report any they came across immediately.

This came about after a house fire some years ago in which 4 children died.

Every single block of flats and three story Council House or Housing Association property was fitted with interlinked smoke alarms and fire doors.

Anyone found to have removed a fire door is charged the full cost of replacing it.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2017, 02:03 PM

The problem here was we were in danger from the doors swim, they were so strong they nearly broke people's arms when they slammed, we removed the door closures ourselves as cutting a dog in half wasn't on our wish list and I couldn't get through the living room door on sticks before it hit me hard and knocked me over. Also fresh air, only way to get a breeze is prop all the doors open and you can't do that with the door closures.

Eviction ? Harsh when it's bad design that caused the problem.

I know several residents went further and removed them though as they are ugliest doors you will ever see, they replaced them with more aesthetically pleasing ones.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire

14-06-2017, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
The problem here was we were in danger from the doors swim, they were so strong they nearly broke people's arms when they slammed, we removed the door closures ourselves as cutting a dog in half wasn't on our wish list and I couldn't get through the living room door on sticks before it hit me hard and knocked me over. Also fresh air, only way to get a breeze is prop all the doors open and you can't do that with the door closures.

Eviction ? Harsh when it's bad design that caused the problem.

I know several residents went further and removed them though as they are ugliest doors you will ever see, they replaced them with more aesthetically pleasing ones.
Hi

People's lives are more important than so called bad design.

There is absolutely no need to remove fire doors, the closures are adjustable

Page 4 of 40 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 14 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top