Join for free
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
dragon
florida, usa
dragon is female  dragon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2011, 04:23 PM

Re: Foreign Languages?

Now your cookin' with gas Plantman-meaning: Ya got the picture.
I feel that if I have to figure out what ya all mean then you can return the flavor (meaning: Favor).
I live in the "South" of USA & we have our own wordage here.
romfty
spain
romfty is male 

21-01-2011, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by claireandaisy ->
Je parle Francais. While living in France I used to cringe at the English - even the ones who lived there - who refused to learn the language of the country.
The worst ones used to shout at French people in English... with a `french` accent!
I think it depends on your capabilities, most folk retiring to France and other warmer climes are pensioners, so learning a new language is not easy......besides, the euro does the talking. Anyway, English is taught in most european mainland countries now as a second language, however it is nice to try and speak some.
Of course the French could always refuse to take the money of non French speakers...? yes of course!
bobmielke
Portland, OR
bobmielke is male  bobmielke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2011, 08:36 PM

I speak American, Southern Redneck, French & Korean.

Dragon did you know that there's proof in the bible that God is a Southerner? Read the last sentense of the King James Version of the bible to see the proof.
dragon
florida, usa
dragon is female  dragon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2011, 09:32 PM

Lots of southerns would agree with you Bob. lol
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2011, 10:00 PM

[QUOTE=bobmielke;85751]I speak American, Southern Redneck, French & Korean.

Dragon did you know that there's proof in the bible that God is a Southerner? Read the last sentense of the King James Version of the bible to see the proof.[/QUOTE

We Catholics have the Douay Bible, Bob ...... please post that line!
bobmielke
Portland, OR
bobmielke is male  bobmielke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2011, 10:09 PM

[QUOTE=dandysmom;85790]
Originally Posted by bobmielke ->
I speak American, Southern Redneck, French & Korean.

Dragon did you know that there's proof in the bible that God is a Southerner? Read the last sentense of the King James Version of the bible to see the proof.[/QUOTE

We Catholics have the Douay Bible, Bob ...... please post that line!
It's in the Book of Revelations, the final chapter & the final verse.

"May the peace of the Lord be with you all."
uk sandra
Gateshead UK
uk sandra is female 

21-01-2011, 11:41 PM

I`m a geordie. We don`t speak English.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2011, 12:51 AM

[QUOTE=bobmielke;85799]
Originally Posted by dandysmom ->

It's in the Book of Revelations, the final chapter & the final verse.

"May the peace of the Lord be with you all."
OMG, can't believe I didn't see that one coming ....
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2011, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by uk sandra ->
I`m a geordie. We don`t speak English.
True enough Sandra darlin, true enough!!!
Joan
Queensland Australia
Joan is female  Joan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2011, 09:06 AM

I speak genuine Yorksher, mild Yorksher for the local Aussies, French and German - and I did learn Latin for four years but you don't ever speak Latin - you work it out like maths.

French was mentioned earlier - I can speak it, but understanding what the locals say is another thing entirely!! Posh French is just about comprehensible, but normal French just goes by in a blur.
Funnily enough, I can usually understand spoken African French and I don't know why.
German is OK - if you know the German you can usually follow the spoken version. I love those long words they make up, where we use an entire phrase, such as 'weapons of mass destruction, which they call Massenvernichtungswaffen.

I'd like to learn another language through U3A. Should I learn Italian or Russian I wonder? It would be nice to be able to read the cyrillic (sp?) alphabet. My daughter in law to be speaks Cantonese - now THAT is something I would not dare try to learn.

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top