Join for free
Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2018, 08:22 AM

Re: Are You Known By The Company You Keep?

Such questions are a bit general, most folks later on in life, would not associate with persons, encountered whilst progressing through the ranks, so, it depends where the onlooker makes any link to a particular epoch.
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2018, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by wild blueberry ->
For instance, in a place like Alcoholics Anonymous....they would have to mix with people who have done some terrible things when they were drinking. If they didn't associate with them, how could they help them.

But then, what would I know, I have never had to be in a position where I questioned who someone was friends with.

Except when my son was a teen, I gave him a few lectures on things like this.

Anyone who is in AA is no better then the person they are sat beside. If I were to judge anyone in a meeting then I'm not being honest to myself. People in AA are not monsters, they are the people you see and meet everyday of your life, ministers, teachers, CEOs, housewife, builders, etc etc. We aren't to be feard, I'd say more to be admired, as we are the ones who have decided to take back control

Do I judge people by the company they keep? I try not to. I think we are all guilty of judging a book by its cover at first look, but I've been proved wrong so many times that I prefer to see how the person comes across to me.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2018, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by Missy ->
Anyone who is in AA is no better then the person they are sat beside. If I were to judge anyone in a meeting then I'm not being honest to myself. People in AA are not monsters, they are the people you see and meet everyday of your life, ministers, teachers, CEOs, housewife, builders, etc etc. We aren't to be feard, I'd say more to be admired, as we are the ones who have decided to take back control

Do I judge people by the company they keep? I try not to. I think we are all guilty of judging a book by its cover at first look, but I've been proved wrong so many times that I prefer to see how the person comes across to me.
I agree Missy. We all make mistakes in life, but those who try drink or drugs, and become addicted find it much harder to correct those mistakes.....and it isn't an easy journey
Often, people who try to help them are judged by the fact that they are spending time with these addicts, but they should be praised, because every one they help reduces the number of possible thefts... when the addicts have to steal because their need is greater than their moral attitudes.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2018, 09:26 AM

The company I keep is my business and no one elses and I am to old to care how I am 'known' .
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2018, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by Adanac ->
On forums or in real life.....I said this to someone once. And I meant it.

Do others judge us by who we "friend" or not?
As I have said boringly often I don't regard forums as reality, having no interest, or wish, to have forum friends.

In my day to day life I like my own company, but meet up with my husband for morning coffee, lunch, our evening meal and a bit of TV before we turn in.
Leia
UK
Leia is female  Leia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2018, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by Adanac ->
On forums or in real life.....I said this to someone once. And I meant it.

Do others judge us by who we "friend" or not?
People do judge.

Dogs have many friends because they wag their tails, not their tongues.
Tezza
Kent
Tezza is male  Tezza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2018, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
The company I keep is my business and no one elses and I am to old to care how I am 'known' .
Just about sums me up. If I was in any way concerned about what people thought of the company I keep I would suggest they look the other way. 👀
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2018, 10:08 AM

This thread reminded me of my mother, who always used to say...

‘Show me your friends and l’ll tell you what you are’!!
Nicol
South east of England
Nicol is female  Nicol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2018, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Originally Posted by Tezza ->
Just about sums me up. If I was in any way concerned about what people thought of the company I keep I would suggest they look the other way. 👀
This ^^^^^^^

I don't give a stuff what people think or what they think of the company I keep.

Life's too short to be bothered with judgemental a***holes like that.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2018, 10:52 AM

I think people have the capacity to change so even if they are not the nicest when I meet them they might surprise me some day. So long as they are nice to me I just try to stay friends to influence them for the better. One of my friends is a reformed bitch she realised it wasn't getting her anywhere and turned over a new leaf. Another was a drinker and has has stopped that.

I try not to judge people I let them find out for themselves that things can be better.

Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top