Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2018, 12:04 PM

Re: Will You Go Through A Red Light?

Two things.

Firstly, why don't we do what some other countries do: at night and at very quiet times the lights are set on flashing amber, which means you may pass if your way is clear. A solid red light when there is no traffic around is rather pointless.

Secondly, the law needs to be changed. At present, if an ambulance or other emergency vehicle needs to get past and you are blocking the way due to a red light, it should be permissible to carefully edge forward sufficiently enough to allow the emergency vehicle to pass. I don't know what I'd do, to be honest. Common sense says to move out of the way as carefully as possible, but we live in a bureaucracy where an army of jobsworths are eagerly waiting their chance to tick their favourite box and have you prosecuted.

I'm afraid that we do not live in a common sense country.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2018, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by Adanac ->
You are coming home at 2 a.m. and you coast to a red light.

There is not a soul around, it's not a well travelled road.

do you wait for the light to change or chance it and go through?
Definitely NOT.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2018, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Two things.

Firstly, why don't we do what some other countries do: at night and at very quiet times the lights are set on flashing amber, which means you may pass if your way is clear. A solid red light when there is no traffic around is rather pointless.

Secondly, the law needs to be changed. At present, if an ambulance or other emergency vehicle needs to get past and you are blocking the way due to a red light, it should be permissible to carefully edge forward sufficiently enough to allow the emergency vehicle to pass. I don't know what I'd do, to be honest. Common sense says to move out of the way as carefully as possible, but we live in a bureaucracy where an army of jobsworths are eagerly waiting their chance to tick their favourite box and have you prosecuted.

I'm afraid that we do not live in a common sense country.
You may remember I had a similar dilemma last year when an ambulance wanted to get past me. My only option was going into an active bus lane. Not wishing to get a fine, I carried on until the bus lane finished but the ambulance driver was getting pretty annoyed. I felt guilty not moving over but who would have paid the fine?
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2018, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
You may remember I had a similar dilemma last year when an ambulance wanted to get past me. My only option was going into an active bus lane. Not wishing to get a fine, I carried on until the bus lane finished but the ambulance driver was getting pretty annoyed. I felt guilty not moving over but who would have paid the fine?
Yes, you're perfectly correct. I'd have done the same. The responsibility for a patient suffering or even dying lies with the people who create and enforce those silly rules.

Incidentally, Liverpool decided not long ago to get rid of all its trendy bus lanes. The outcome was that traffic moved far more efficiently, including busses.

More recently, some of the roads I have travelled on in Salford have had their bus lanes suspended. Common sense seems to be spreading... at last.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2018, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Yes, you're perfectly correct. I'd have done the same. The responsibility for a patient suffering or even dying lies with the people who create and enforce those silly rules.

Incidentally, Liverpool decided not long ago to get rid of all its trendy bus lanes. The outcome was that traffic moved far more efficiently, including busses.

More recently, some of the roads I have travelled on in Salford have had their bus lanes suspended. Common sense seems to be spreading... at last.
It does seem ridiculous when you see lines of traffic and an empty bus lane with the odd bus going past.

Plus I agree with the idea of changing the traffic light rules during the early hours.
Vaniy
Spain
Vaniy is male  Vaniy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2018, 12:48 PM

No I would not

I have a 15point clean licience and want to keep it that way and all our Traffic lights have timers so you know just how long you have to wait
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

08-03-2018, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by Vaniy ->
No I would not

I have a 15point clean licience and want to keep it that way and all our Traffic lights have timers so you know just how long you have to wait
Do they?

Only the day before yesterday, I had to drive up to Manchester Airport and found myself sitting at a red light for over five minutes and queues were building up behind me as far as I could see. It was only a T-junction which normally has frequent light changes, but some idiot had decided to change it to hold up those nasty motorists.
Maddy
somewwhere.....
Maddy is female  Maddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2018, 02:47 PM

i went thro a red lite in the day time' just wasnt thinking 'when i looked in my mirror i saw the police car on the side of the rd -who had stopped someone and saw him
waving at me lol -but i usually do stop no matter how quite it is
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-03-2018, 10:33 AM

Road works traffic lights sometimes have sensors on them to detect emergency vehicles. Being norty I somtimes flash my headlights on which occassionally makes them change. SSSSSSSSSSSH I didn't say that
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-03-2018, 11:39 AM

I have gone through a red light before but not on purpose. I wasn't paying attention to the lights changing.

The camera got me and 5 days later a fine came in the post plus 3 points off my licence.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top