Join for free
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2018, 03:27 AM

Re: Do You Share Your Food While Eating Out?

One time I had lunch duty in the school cafeteria when a very young female student got into an altercation as the result of another child reaching over and taking something from her lunch tray. There was a lot of shouting and pushing.

As the girl had a fighting reputation, having grown up the youngest and only girl in a family of boys, I took the opportunity as a teaching moment and pulled her aside.

I explained that while she had every right to be upset about the other child's wandering fingers, there were better ways to solve the problem than by shouting and pushing. We brainstormed a few ideas and talked about better alternatives for problem solving.

Satisfied that I had helped her add a few ideas in her toolbox that would keeping her from being aggressive, I asked her what she would do if someone ever stole food from her plate in the future.

Quick as lightning she grabbed a fork in her fist and with a stabbing motion exclaimed, "I'd FORK 'em!"

I am nothing if not gifted in counseling small children in the fine art of etiquette and problem solving.

Moral of the story: Take food from someone's plate and risk being "forked".
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2018, 04:33 AM

When I am with family at the club we occasionally sample each other's meal but if I am in a Chinese or Thai restaurant we always put all the food in the middle of the table with the bowl of rice, have an empty bowl or plate each and serve ourselves from the food in the middle.

Actually, how else could you eat something like this?

(I don't personally join in the fight over the eyes)

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	130807 002 Fish Dinner.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	5417  
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2018, 04:36 AM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
One time I had lunch duty in the school cafeteria when a very young female student got into an altercation as the result of another child reaching over and taking something from her lunch tray. There was a lot of shouting and pushing.

As the girl had a fighting reputation, having grown up the youngest and only girl in a family of boys, I took the opportunity as a teaching moment and pulled her aside.

I explained that while she had every right to be upset about the other child's wandering fingers, there were better ways to solve the problem than by shouting and pushing. We brainstormed a few ideas and talked about better alternatives for problem solving.

Satisfied that I had helped her add a few ideas in her toolbox that would keeping her from being aggressive, I asked her what she would do if someone ever stole food from her plate in the future.

Quick as lightning she grabbed a fork in her fist and with a stabbing motion exclaimed, "I'd FORK 'em!"

I am nothing if not gifted in counseling small children in the fine art of etiquette and problem solving.

That reminds me of the Irish joke:

Man: Where's me fork an' knife?

Wife: On the fork'n table in front of you.

(You need to read it in an Irish accent)
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2018, 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
That reminds me of the Irish joke:

Man: Where's me fork an' knife?

Wife: On the fork'n table in front of you.

(You need to read it in an Irish accent)

Bruce, my dad, a meat and potatoes sort, reluctantly accompanied me to a Asian fusion restaurant where he ordered that fish entreé. Neither he nor my mother had any clue as to how to proceed eating it.

He tried to hide it, but it was clear that he was unhappy, so I had him try some of my sushi. Before I realized what he had done, he thought the wasabi was guacamole and put the entire ball into his mouth. Needless to say, I don't get a lot of Asian cuisine when we go out to dinner together
Adanac
canada
Adanac is female  Adanac has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2018, 11:22 AM

Surfermom, liked you story. At least you tried.

Kind of reminds me though of one dog approaching another dog feeding at the food bowl. Keep your distance.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2018, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by Adanac ->
We go out with friends sometimes and we think nothing of taking a bite of their dinner to try.

I stress they are very good friends without hoof and mouth disease

Or sometimes hubby and I will split a bit. He gets some of my chicken fingers, I get 1/4 of his Clubhouse Sandwich.

What about you, do you share or is your food off limits.
On the rare occasions we go out for a meal we wouldn't dream of sharing anything on our plate with anyone else, anymore than we would do at home, YUCK!
Mr Magoo
London
Mr Magoo is male  Mr Magoo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2018, 01:16 PM

I am not allowed to eat uncooked tomatoes. Mrs M doesn’t care for cucumber. So if there is salad on the menu we give each other the appropriate pieces of veg.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2018, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
Indeed!

I used to work in an office with 3 colleagues, including one well brought-up young lady. We sat in a square of desks, all facing centrally.

It was our habit to take turns to go out for "Special Corned Beef Pasties" for our Friday lunch break.

One Friday, one of the male colleagues went "shopping" and returned with the pasties, each in a paper bag. Everyone removed their pasty and placed it on the paper bag, on their desk, before starting to eat. The young lady took her preparation 2 steps further - she retrieved a (wrapped) knife and fork from a desk drawer, placed them beside her pasty then left the office to wash her hands.

The devil must have been in the colleague to her left because, for reasons best known to himself, he leaned across and broke off one end of young lady's pasty and popped it into his mouth.

We males all started on our own pasties and, shortly thereafter, the young lady returned to the office, gave us all a lovely smile, sat down at her desk, unwrapped her knife and fork, placed them in the appropriate hand (fork in the left) while gazing at at her pasty.

Without looking up, she asked "Who touched my pasty?".

The guilty male to her left halted the transfer of pasty half-way to mouth, gave all away with a bright red face and professed (oddly) "I was just checking it for you."

Again, without looking up, the young lady FORKED the male colleague with enough force to dislodge the pasty from his fingers and draw blood from the back of his hand.

While he shrieked, the young lady said, quietly and slowly, "Do not touch my food ever, ever again" then proceeded to wipe her fork before cutting off the "molested" end and decorously eating the remainder.

Needless to say, we males were shocked by the appearance of this young lady's "other side" but the guilty colleague had committed a "crime" and, therefore, had to suffer the consequences.
Leia
UK
Leia is female  Leia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2018, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by tarantula ->
On the rare occasions we go out for a meal we wouldn't dream of sharing anything on our plate with anyone else, anymore than we would do at home, YUCK!
There's nothing yuck about it. I don't believe in wasting food when someone else can eat it.
Adanac
canada
Adanac is female  Adanac has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2018, 01:21 PM

What about places where there is a self serve bar for all you can eat.

Now that is a place I avoid, I don't know who touched what. I prefer to share with friends or family if I want to try something new.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top