Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool
Cookiecate is female  Cookiecate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2011, 03:10 PM

Just a little irritating??

My mother in law is 83 and she wanted to take rather a large amount of money out of her bank account. We thought it would be a good idea to go to the bank in person as she wanted to transfer this money into my account I went along too.

As mother is very deaf we asked for a room for a little privacy, which was a good idea. Mother told the man her bank account number and sort code. She then told him quite proudly her date of birth (funny how older people become quite proud of their age)

She gave him her bank card and then told him the pin number. The man busily typed into the computer. He then asked me for my bank details, which I gave him.

He said he needed to have a word with his manager as the computer was saying NO. On his return he asked mother for some form of identification either a driving licence or a passport.

Mother came up with her driving licence. 'Oh dear spoketh the man this has expired' Indeed it has I chimed in mother doesn't drive anymore but the picture hasn't expired, she is still the same person in the picture she just doesn't drive. Do you have a passport asked the man. 'No sayeth mother, I haven't been anywhere for years and didn't renew it' She then went on to tell me that she didn't even knowwhere it was.

I need to speak with the manager said the man the computer is saying NO. When he returned he told us that he was very sorry but he couldn't transfer the money into my account because he needed proof of my mother in laws identity and she was unable to give it satisfactorily.

Poor mother in law was dumnfounded. I am me though she said look I have lots of letters and things in my bag all addressed or signed by me, even the young ladies behind the counter know its me................

I am sorry said the man but when we are audited they would really be unhappy if we had allowed you to transfer money out of your account into another bank account on an expired driving licence.

I didn't say anything except to suggest that the man must feel a bit of a dilly and rather impotent not being able to make decisions as easy as this one.

Maybe we do need ID cards for just such times.
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2011, 03:29 PM

Re: Just a little irritating??

I was treated the same way in a post office, trying to draw my pension on holiday, they said I had no prove of who I was, I said I have my cheque book and card and they said if I had stolen the pension book, I could have taken the Cheque card as well.... where upon I waked out. Annie.
james
London, UK
james is male  james has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2011, 04:30 PM

ah you went with her, looked intimidating as if forcing your mum to make the transfer.

dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2011, 04:34 PM

Oh how I sympathize! I have the same problem: no government issued ID; I do have an expired non-drivers license with a picture, but most people won't accept that even though it's obviously a pic of me, just younger. Such sticklers for rules, why not use common sense??
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2011, 04:35 PM

What a terrible way to treat customers, if you went in to rob the place you wouldn't be waiting long for assistance.
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool
Cookiecate is female  Cookiecate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2011, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by james ->
ah you went with her, looked intimidating as if forcing your mum to make the transfer.

Don't laugh, but I said that afterwards, mum in law said she thought I shouldn' t have had her arm up her back.

I am glad we went into a room of our own otherwise mum would have been very embarassed.
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool

17-04-2011, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by anniemuldoon ->
I was treated the same way in a post office, trying to draw my pension on holiday, they said I had no prove of who I was, I said I have my cheque book and card and they said if I had stolen the pension book, I could have taken the Cheque card as well.... where upon I waked out. Annie.

Annie that is awful, you are allowed to cash two pensions in other post offices. If banks and post offices were not so damn dishonest themselves I am sure they would have a little trust and common sense.
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool

17-04-2011, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by dandysmom ->
Oh how I sympathize! I have the same problem: no government issued ID; I do have an expired non-drivers license with a picture, but most people won't accept that even though it's obviously a pic of me, just younger. Such sticklers for rules, why not use common sense??
Maybe we should have another form of ID for people who used to have a driving license but it expired and they don't drive now. Something you could apply for when you give up driving.

I have a blue disabled badge with my picture and signature on it. It is issued by the local council and people have accepted that as an ID.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2011, 06:07 PM

I had the same problem with ID. I don't have a passport and I have an old style paper driving licence without my photo on. I was refused when I wanted to open a new bank account in person, but I was easily able to open one online! Ridiculous...
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2011, 06:25 PM

Cate darlin' - didn't your MIL have her bus pass with her??? - that passes here as identificfation - have even used mine (instead of a passport) to fly to Northern Ireland.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top