Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
SamTheMan
Merseyside
SamTheMan is male  SamTheMan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-04-2018, 06:30 PM

Should this man, be allowed to die.

A terminally ill man who is challenging the law on assisted suicide has asked judges to acknowledge his "basic right to die" and to envisage themselves in his position.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-43922888
These type of cases have been to the Courts in the past, and always lost. For him to have any chance, the law has to be changed. And that's down to Parliament.
If i were in the position were i was suffering with no hope, i'd want them to give me a tablet ti put me to sleep.
Is there any similarities to this case and the 'Alfie' one. Both need machines to keep them alive.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-04-2018, 06:39 PM

Re: Should this man, be allowed to die.

Yes.

This is a situation in which government has absolutely no business interfering in someone's affairs.

Oregon has passed assisted suicide legislation and it has passed by vote in Hawai'i and is awaiting the governor's signature for passage. I expect that other states will follow.

That said, some compassionate doctors have been quietly allowing assisted suicide for years; prescribing painkillers to terminal patients with warnings that, "If you take more than X of these, it could be lethal, so be careful..."
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-04-2018, 06:42 PM

If someone is of sound mind and terminally ill, I think they should have the right to die if that is their wish.
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-04-2018, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by tarantula ->
If someone is of sound mind and terminally ill, I think they should have the right to die if that is their wish.
I agree entirely with you Tara.
bloggsy
Hampshire
bloggsy is male  bloggsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-04-2018, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by Sweetie pie ->
I agree entirely with you Tara.
I agree as well
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-04-2018, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by tarantula ->
Absolutely.
The authorities should not be able to override your wishes in such cases.
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-04-2018, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
Yes.

This is a situation in which government has absolutely no business interfering in someone's affairs.

Oregon has passed assisted suicide legislation and it has passed by vote in Hawai'i and is awaiting the governor's signature for passage. I expect that other states will follow.

That said, some compassionate doctors have been quietly allowing assisted suicide for years; prescribing painkillers to terminal patients with warnings that, "If you take more than X of these, it could be lethal, so be careful..."

Don't think I'm wrong, but it seems more countries are coming round to passing assisted suicide legislation. I dearly wish we'd get our act together and pass it here.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-04-2018, 10:03 PM

They have so far failed to pass assisted suicide laws for the reason that there may be pressures on the person concerned to end their life.

Whereas I can see their reasons, I am absolutely in favour of permitting assisted suicide if it is fully investigated beforehand to ensure nothing untoward is happening.

If I should ever wish to end my life, the government, police or judiciary would certainly not stop me. There are so many methods of committing suicide, and many would be quite quick and painless.

Ideally, though, the means for someone to end their life should be made available in this country along the lines of the facilities offered in Switzerland.
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-04-2018, 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by Pesta ->
Don't think I'm wrong, but it seems more countries are coming round to passing assisted suicide legislation. I dearly wish we'd get our act together and pass it here.
They probably fear that such a law would be abused in one way or another.

JBR - "There are so many methods of committing suicide, and many would be quite quick and painless."............and very many are NOT painless or quick and often don't work, but could leave you in a much worse state. I pity the man I read about who died on his FOURTH suicide attempt! Imagine the anguish of that!

There is a "Peaceful Pill" - it's the same thing that's given to euthanize dogs, available for purchase for about $800 in Mexico. I'm personally not prepared to send $800 to Mexico ............. but there is no reason why someone who is desperate could not be given the means to die peacefully.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-04-2018, 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by Lindyloo ->
JBR - "There are so many methods of committing suicide, and many would be quite quick and painless."............and very many are NOT painless or quick and often don't work, but could leave you in a much worse state. I pity the man I read about who died on his FOURTH suicide attempt! Imagine the anguish of that!
Of course. Needless to say, one would have to do one's homework.

Google is your friend!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top