Join for free
Page 69 of 79 « First < 19 59 67 68 69 70 71 > Last »
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2012, 06:11 PM

Re: What do you remember???

Originally Posted by jemflux ->
Mary, I was looking up old advertisements on google and some of them really bring back memories, others I haven't a clue what they are about, like this black and white one.

Maybe Uncle Joe would be kind enough to enlighten us?
Jim matey, yes I know about lard. Before all these 'poncey' oils I and my Mother before me used lard to cook with - a piece of lard in the oven dish to cook roast joints and roast potatoes in was very common. I sometimes still use beef dripping to cook with too.
Jimmy
Lancashire
Jimmy is male  Jimmy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2012, 06:17 PM

I remember lard well, our chips have not been the same since we stopped cooking them in lard, I want my chip pan back.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2012, 06:37 PM

Thanks Joe, I remember the lard alright and the dripping, but did they all come from a cow?, as a townie I know little of these things, can you for example, get lard from a pig or a deer, maybe even a zebra. It's supposed to be deadly for bringing on heart attacks, but 'Burdocks' the oldest and most famous chipper in Dublin still fry their fish and chips in lard, as far as I know.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2012, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by jemflux ->
Thanks Joe, I remember the lard alright and the dripping, but did they all come from a cow?, as a townie I know little of these things, can you for example, get lard from a pig or a deer, maybe even a zebra. It's supposed to be deadly for bringing on heart attacks, but 'Burdocks' the oldest and most famous chipper in Dublin still fry their fish and chips in lard, as far as I know.
Lard is pig fat, Jem and it's a saturated fat which is bad for you.

Years ago we used half butter and half fat to make perfect shortcrust pastry which just crumbled in your
mouth. It's not quite the same these days
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2012, 08:05 PM

When I was young and living at home, when we were on holiday my Dad would send me into the chip shop to see if it was useing dripping, oil had just started being used, and if it wasnt we went to the next one , and so on till we got the dripping one, then we bought the chips. we didnt like the oil.
maryl
UK
maryl is female  maryl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2012, 08:07 PM

And bread and beef dripping was gorgeous as kids.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2012, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by maryl ->
And bread and beef dripping was gorgeous as kids.
Especially with a sprinkle of salt on the top
maryl
UK
maryl is female  maryl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2012, 08:11 PM

Yes, salt Mags (bad for you too) on top. Used to come in from playing for that then shoot straight out again.
Lynne55
Lancs.
Lynne55 is female  Lynne55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2012, 08:31 PM

Pork Dripping with salt on On toast toasted in front of the fire on a toasting fork

Cocoa Powder & Sugar mixed up on a bit of greasproof paper & eaten with a TeaSpoon

Rhubarb from the garden & sugar to dip it in.

Cabbage Water to drink - I used to love that - My ambition was to work in a Cabbage shop. Still not realized it
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2012, 08:47 AM

Dragon (Mother) used to butter one side of bread and then place it (butter side down) in a sugar bowl and I ate that - fabulous!!!

Page 69 of 79 « First < 19 59 67 68 69 70 71 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top