Join for free
Page 12 of 43 « First < 2 10 11 12 13 14 22 > Last »
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2018, 07:28 PM

Re: If you could ask god one question

Originally Posted by wild blueberry ->
I want the truth, but at the same time, I want the comfort of feeling I am being looked after from an all powerful entity of an identifiable existence.....if it is true, or not
Have you seen the film "The Matrix"?

If so let me ask you. If you were Neo, cocooned in his little pod plugged into a cosy, comfortable artificial world, would you want to be woken up into the real world, or would you prefer to remain in the illusory world, forever a slave doomed to die but artificially content?
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2018, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
Do we?
Yes, we believe that God is only interested in humans. Don't we? The Abrahamic faiths are totally focused on humanity. Hinduism and Buddhism recognise that we are part of a bigger picture. At least I know that Buddhism does.
wild blueberry
Toronto, Canada
wild blueberry is female  wild blueberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2018, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
Have you seen the film "The Matrix"?

If so let me ask you. If you were Neo, cocooned in his little pod plugged into a cosy, comfortable artificial world, would you want to be woken up into the real world, or would you prefer to remain in the illusory world, forever a slave doomed to die but artificially content?
Sorry Realist, I haven't seen that movie, but I will look for it on Netflix.........
wild blueberry
Toronto, Canada
wild blueberry is female  wild blueberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2018, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
Thank you Lion,
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2018, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by wild blueberry ->
Sorry Realist, I haven't seen that movie, but I will look for it on Netflix.........
Oh wow, ok. It's an eye opener and one of my top 3 films. Have to watch it whenever it is on. Don't get distracted by the special effects. Understand what is going on and how it relates to our own lives.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK

03-11-2018, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Yes, we believe that God is only interested in humans. Don't we? The Abrahamic faiths are totally focused on humanity. Hinduism and Buddhism recognise that we are part of a bigger picture. At least I know that Buddhism does.
Yep. Buddhism in particular follows our joint belief that "God" or the universal life energy is in everything around us. Possibly it's Pantheism.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2018, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Yes, we believe that God is only interested in humans. Don't we?
How could I believe that given that I have no belief that any god exists?
wild blueberry
Toronto, Canada

03-11-2018, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
Thank you kindly for that, WP.
We can agree to disagree amicably. That's how discussions should be conducted in my opinion.

Jesus?
I read a book by Bamber Gascoigne - you may recall him from University Challenge. The book was "The Christians" and it had a chapter about the existence of Jesus of Nazareth. The evidence presented would indicate that he did. Whether he had supernatural powers is another matter.

It may also be worth noting that none of the NT writings are contemporaneous with his life having been written decades or more after his death.
And thank you Bes......I sure do enjoy discussing things with you. Yes, that is exactly how discussions should be, without any mud slinging or name calling, which you don't do......

Thanks for the reply about Jesus , and I didn't read that book...but I may someday.
wild blueberry
Toronto, Canada

03-11-2018, 08:10 PM

Oh wow, ok. It's an eye opener and one of my top 3 films. Have to watch it whenever it is on. Don't get distracted by the special effects. Understand what is going on and how it relates to our own lives.
Ok Realist, and if I may ask, what are the other top 2 ?
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2018, 08:13 PM

c) A literal interpretation leads to all manner of societal problems
So who has the "correct" interpretation?
How long did creation of everything actually take?

Page 12 of 43 « First < 2 10 11 12 13 14 22 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top