Join for free
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Graham
South Hampshire
Graham is male  Graham has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2011, 04:29 PM

Re: christmas

I'm still paying for last Christmas to start thinking about this year
Hammer
NW England.
Hammer is male 

24-08-2011, 05:13 PM

Bah humbug.
Its still August and that idle s** Cratchit has already asked for a few hours off on the 25th of December can you believe.
I suppose the miserable wretch wants me to allow him to spend time with that unruly brood of his.
It's high time his delinquent offspring were sent out to work in the mills and the matchstick factory.

The no good Cratchit has already incurred my wrath earlier this year by having the temerity to ask for a piece of coal for the fire in the counting house would you believe.

The nerve of the man, would he consider burning Tiny Tims crutch ?
Of course he would not - but waste my fuel - by all means.
Here I am doing my bit for the planet by not burning any fossil fuels and he should be grateful for my good works, the good for nothing reprobate.

I blame that other waste of space - my ex partner - Jacob Marley, he even paid for a new quill pen for Cratchit, where did that get him Huh? he now spends his days rattling chains about disturbing my well earned rest.

Christmas, Bah Humbug
The Dog Lover
Watford
The Dog Lover is female  The Dog Lover has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2011, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by Hammer ->
Bah humbug.
Its still August and that idle s** Cratchit has already asked for a few hours off on the 25th of December can you believe.
I suppose the miserable wretch wants me to allow him to spend time with that unruly brood of his.
It's high time his delinquent offspring were sent out to work in the mills and the matchstick factory.

The no good Cratchit has already incurred my wrath earlier this year by having the temerity to ask for a piece of coal for the fire in the counting house would you believe.

The nerve of the man, would he consider burning Tiny Tims crutch ?
Of course he would not - but waste my fuel - by all means.
Here I am doing my bit for the planet by not burning any fossil fuels and he should be grateful for my good works, the good for nothing reprobate.

I blame that other waste of space - my ex partner - Jacob Marley, he even paid for a new quill pen for Cratchit, where did that get him Huh? he now spends his days rattling chains about disturbing my well earned rest.

Christmas, Bah Humbug
Excellent
rueben
lancs uk
rueben is female  rueben has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2011, 05:38 PM

It's too commercial and too hyped up. Although it has religious meaning for some. Christmas used to be a time when you had treats that you didn't get for the rest of the year. Now things are available all the year round. The tradition doesn't have much meaning anymore apart from over indulging. All the costly expense to meet other peoples expectations when it could be better spent. How many people would like to give it a miss if they where brave enough!
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2011, 05:51 PM

It is a religious ceremony and I wouldnt want to ban it. It isvery silly the amount of money people spend, thats not the idea.I love the Nativity plays at school and the Carols and lessons at church.
Graham
South Hampshire
Graham is male  Graham has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2011, 06:02 PM

For me, it's a overdone big hyper buildup to spending money on 'other people', whilst getting worthless c**p in return from those who don't put an ounce of thought or effort into buying gifts.

Christmas lost its sparkle not long after I was a teenager. Its just meaningless hype, bad expense and playing a game of 'family politics'. Already, shops have Christmas stuff on display which will get worse until the 'big day', which lasts for a few hours - then its over.

Luckily, I'm working this year so I'm out of it.
Hammer
NW England.
Hammer is male 

24-08-2011, 06:06 PM

Is it somebody's birthday then?
I thought it were all the fault of this Wenceslas bloke and we had to celebrate for all this goodwill to all men stuff that he threw about.

They even made a song up about him.
Where did that get him ? the ungrateful had him done in and yet we have to remember him.

The next thing you know Norway will once again feel sorry for us Brits and send us a load of pine needles attached to a tree to put up somewhere an the south of the country.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2011, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by Graham ->
For me, it's a overdone big hyper buildup to spending money on 'other people', whilst getting worthless c**p in return from those who don't put an ounce of thought or effort into buying gifts.

Christmas lost its sparkle not long after I was a teenager. Its just meaningless hype, bad expense and playing a game of 'family politics'. Already, shops have Christmas stuff on display which will get worse until the 'big day', which lasts for a few hours - then its over.

Luckily, I'm working this year so I'm out of it.

Those of us of a certain age Graham matey don't work at all so every day for us can be Xmas day. Personally I'm just waiting for my Xmas pud and Brandy sauce. Being an Atheist Xmas has had no meaning for me for many years other than a good excuse for a good nosh and booze up!!!
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2011, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Those of us of a certain age Graham matey don't work at all so every day for us can be Xmas day. Personally I'm just waiting for my Xmas pud and Brandy sauce. Being an Atheist Xmas has had no meaning for me for many years other than a good excuse for a good nosh and booze up!!!
Love the pragmatic approach Joe, by the way, happy holidays mate....
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2011, 07:46 PM

Your not the only one thinking of Christmas Doc, I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw this weeks TV Times, on the back cover is a full page ad. for an , 'Illuminating pull up Christmas tree' with the advice to get your order in soon for fear of disappointment. Why not go the whole way and start selling in January. It wouldn't surprise me if they came up with the idea of Santa's Birthday becoming a holiday, he must be at least 300 years old by now Damn him!

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top