Join for free
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2020, 10:33 AM

Re: So, we think we are so important ?

One of my thinkings and musings when I'm looking at the night sky is our ancestors would have seen the birds flying yet could never have imagined that future humans would be flying in that sky , I wonder if they ever imagined a sky full of flying people .

Sorry gone off topic with my wonderings.
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2020, 10:47 AM

Getting to the moon was politically motivated, there is too much space junk that's for sure.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/scien...g-mars-ESA-spt

NASA faces a new threat in the cosmos, as more than “half a million” pieces of space junk whizz through the Solar System at incredible speed ‘waiting to collide’ with their rockets

As of January 2019, more than 128 million bits of debris smaller than 1 cm (0.4 in), about 900,000 pieces of debris 1–10 cm, and around 34,000 of pieces larger than 10 cm were estimated to be in orbit around the Earth by NASA.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NASA_spinoff_technologies

Quite a few.
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2020, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by Twink55;1975368

[B
I am afraid that I am one of those people who think that the time, energy and money we invest into traveling in space would be better used in looking after our own planet.
I remember the USA landing on the moon and, although it was an achievement, what benefits have we seen from the money that was invested into it?[/B]
It has been decades since I read an article in Science magazine that demonstrated that the money spent on going to the moon was returned many fold in new technologies and which has been manufactured and sold around the world.

Even our www and GPS is the result of Pentagon spending.

On the subject of living in space, our grandchildren will live to see a permanent colony on Mars. The younger members of Over50'sforum will live to see humans 1st landing on Mars.

Here's a real mind-blower for you. It is entirely possible that our grandchildren will also live to see babies being born on Mars.
Those babies will, in reality, be Martians.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2020, 10:57 AM

I'm important within the boundaries of MY world. Beyond that I don't give a stuff other than the damage being done to this world by anthropomorphic climate change deniers.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2020, 11:05 AM

I love the night sky and as I'm a bad sleeper I often get up and take a cuppa outside to the table and sit there in the quiet. I especially love it when it's the Aurora Season as it is just now, it's amazing to see the different colours all swirling around you. This is along the road a bit, the ruins of the castle with the lights dancing above..
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2020, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by bakerman ->
It has been decades since I read an article in Science magazine that demonstrated that the money spent on going to the moon was returned many fold in new technologies and which has been manufactured and sold around the world.

Even our www and GPS is the result of Pentagon spending.

On the subject of living in space, our grandchildren will live to see a permanent colony on Mars. The younger members of Over50'sforum will live to see humans 1st landing on Mars.

Here's a real mind-blower for you. It is entirely possible that our grandchildren will also live to see babies being born on Mars.
Those babies will, in reality, be Martians.
I heard people say that on TV too, but I suspect it could be a lot of wishful thinking because they know the Earth may not survive. If they manage to achieve a colony on Mars ( which will take much longer than people think) it is unlikely that our grandchildren will be saved from the Earths destruction! There will be a selected few who go there to start a new race with very different living conditions. How sad that those left behind will become the victims of the damage all this space travel will cause
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2020, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
I'm important within the boundaries of MY world. Beyond that I don't give a stuff other than the damage being done to this world by anthropomorphic climate change deniers.

I thought you thought climate change theory was crap Art?
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2020, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
You changed your opinion of your hero Trumpy then todgy??

Donkeyman! 👍😁😁👍
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2020, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
Earth & it's inhabitants are very important to those who live here, so to us the rest of space is just an interesting array of bright lights.

I feel that hardly any of us will travel in the universe and, even if we do, it is unlikely that we will ever be able to live there.

I am afraid that I am one of those people who think that the time, energy and money we invest into traveling in space would be better used in looking after our own planet.
I remember the USA landing on the moon and, although it was an achievement, what benefits have we seen from the money that was invested into it?

Wouldn't be a better if the sky remained a beautiful mystery, rather than somewhere we need to invade?
Fully agree, TwinK!

I think our time is best spent getting ourselves through our lives in as happy a way as possible.

Looking at other planets is nice.

But, I guess that some will see that other planets might be a place to escape to.

But, would that not make us immigrants there?

Others might look at plundering the planets, for the resources out there.

They might not be so happy if the others invaded ours.
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2020, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by Roxy ->
I love the night sky and as I'm a bad sleeper I often get up and take a cuppa outside to the table and sit there in the quiet. I especially love it when it's the Aurora Season as it is just now, it's amazing to see the different colours all swirling around you. This is along the road a bit, the ruins of the castle with the lights dancing above..
Stunningly mesmerizing, Roxy.

This link is useful for identifying what planets can be seen in sky.

https://www.timeanddate.com/astronomy/night/

If you're a Star Trek fan.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/startsw.../#351248d75410

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top