Join for free
Page 43 of 53 « First < 33 41 42 43 44 45 > Last »
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2021, 10:08 PM

Re: Prince Phillip

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
the "math" is that the ship was being bombed by the luftwaffe and he organised a decoy fire to make it look like they'd made a fatal hit. Therefore saving far more lives than a few stragglers who didn't drown. No brainer in terms of "math"
So even if true what makes him a hero? Actually creating a fire on board a ship that was under attack is the LAST thing to do because it would be a focus for further attack. Hero? Hardly.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2021, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
So even if true what makes him a hero? Actually creating a fire on board a ship that was under attack is the LAST thing to do because it would be a focus for further attack. Hero? Hardly.
If you read the account it wasn't on the ship but a decoy floater close to the ship. He saved a lot of lives through quick thinking. Why isn't that heroic? You just hate him but you need to put your emotions aside and just agree with Pauline that he acted heroically. His co shipmates gave the account years later. Not something I was particularly interested in but this thread is getting silly with victimising Pauline for her views.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2021, 10:21 PM

This is quick thinking ( I have said all this before ) but is hardly heroic and sounds like standard evasive tactics which they learn at naval college . .
No one is ‘victimising ‘ Pauline FGS it’s a discussion !
Why on Earth should anyone agree with her if they don’t ?
It’s getting silly when grown adults have to humour nonsense !
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2021, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
This is quick thinking ( I have said all this before ) but is hardly heroic and sounds like standard evasive tactics which they learn at naval college . .
No one is ‘victimising ‘ Pauline FGS it’s a discussion !
Why on Earth should anyone agree with her if they don’t ?
it is heroic if you are a lieutenant on a ship. I mean what is heroics other than quick thinking to save the lives of others? Play it down if you wish to but it was a big risk taken to save lives IMO and I guess you need to demonstrate more as to why you think it's not heroic rather than just poo poo it as nothing.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2021, 10:26 PM

If you read the account it wasn't on the ship but a decoy floater close to the ship. He saved a lot of lives through quick thinking. Why isn't that heroic? You just hate him but you need to put your emotions aside and just agree with Pauline that he acted heroically. His co shipmates gave the account years later. Not something I was particularly interested in but this thread is getting silly with victimising Pauline for her views.
Hate him? I couldn't care much less about him but all the hero worship is just plain silly brought about by the propaganda service of The Firm, a thing that is responsible for all of the pure BS that keeps The Firm ahead of the Kardashians in the public image.

That and a meme of how wonderful they are (they're not), how hard they work (they don't) how valuable they are to the UK tourist sector (they're not) and how much we need them (FAR from it).
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

22-02-2021, 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
Hate him? I couldn't care much less about him but all the hero worship is just plain silly brought about by the propaganda service of The Firm, a thing that is responsible for all of the pure BS that keeps The Firm ahead of the Kardashians in the public image.

That and a meme of how wonderful they are (they're not), how hard they work (they don't) how valuable they are to the UK tourist sector (they're not) and how much we need them (FAR from it).
I don't see it as propaganda because I wasn't even aware of it until you all started to have a big debate. It was his shipmate who reported it 17 years ago.

In terms of the marketing brand, if you understand intangible value then you will know that they add more value to the UK economy and world wide profile of the UK than we pay them in taxes. Obviously that will vary over time and with the lockdown it's likely gone down but they still have that certain cachet that brings in the £££'s. I don't expect everyone to get me on that side of things but it's there and it's important. There's a surfeit of added value.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

22-02-2021, 10:36 PM

Anyway clearly you have some sort of feelings about him. I just originally posted here because he's old and sick and I think anyone in that position deserves a bit of respect.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2021, 10:37 PM

I am only interested in the pomp and splendour and all the traditions that go with royalty. I don’t think any other country can match us for that.

I like the Queen but I’m not sure about the others. Some of them have been such a letdown and an embarrassment to the country.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK

22-02-2021, 10:38 PM

I don't see it as propaganda because I wasn't even aware of it until you all started to have a big debate. It was his shipmate who reported it 17 years ago.

In terms of the marketing brand, if you understand intangible value then you will know that they add more value to the UK economy and world wide profile of the UK than we pay them in taxes. Obviously that will vary over time and with the lockdown it's likely gone down but they still have that certain cachet that brings in the £££'s. I don't expect everyone to get me on that side of things but it's there and it's important. There's a surfeit of added value.
You are wrong.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK

22-02-2021, 10:39 PM

Anyway clearly you have some sort of feelings about him. I just originally posted here because he's old and sick and I think anyone in that position deserves a bit of respect.
Pity maybe, but why respect?

Page 43 of 53 « First < 33 41 42 43 44 45 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top