Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2021, 11:37 AM

Re: Bureaucracy gone bonkers

Originally Posted by mart ->
We just renewed Mrs mart's blue badge. All done online now. A new photo was required but as regards the disability level, they were happy for us to scan in paperwork from the previous assessments and send them as PDFs.

For conditions that aren't going to change I reckon that ought to be good enough.
Me too Mart !!

Donkeyman! 👍👍
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2021, 11:52 AM

Not the same order of magnitude, but my brother in law has had issues over the years in relation to maintaining care funding for my sister (who has MS). Every so often, the council has to cut costs, so tries to palm the care onto the NHS, and my brother in law then has to go though the usual rigmarole of arranging home visits and doctors reports to get things back to normal, and go through the same old argument as to why the current care package is appropriate (direct payment and he pays the same two carers who have been there for around 15 years now), rather than go for the reduced care package involving different random people popping in a few time a day for a few minutes, which would be the NHS way, and indeed would be more costly to the public purse due to the nature of outsourcing contracts.

Bureaucracy isn't really to blame here. It's the council having to ensure that it is doing what it can to minimise it's spending, even though it tends to end up with horror stories such as the op describes.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2021, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by Ullabi ->
Yes I agree with you there. Luckily we haven't had any problems with my mum's permit yet - she's totally deaf/blind. But if either of us drive her we can use our own permits.

Sorry to hear about your husband. Is he able to use a prosthesis? My girlfriend has state of the art leg and arm prostheses, though she does still have her body powered split hook prosthesis for her right arm which she uses a lot of the time
When he first had his accident they gave him a false arm with hand but it was very heavy and quite rubbish, he found it a bind and easier to manage with one arm. He manages so well and there isn't a lot he can't do except for things like tying shoelaces but he just buys shoes with velcro. There is akways a way round things and im very proud of how he copes and manages.

He ended up throwing his arm in the skip, I often chuckle about it if anyone saw it they must have thought what the heck, its notvevery day youvsee an arm lying about on a tip lol
Ullabi
Ullabi is female 

27-05-2021, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
When he first had his accident they gave him a false arm with hand but it was very heavy and quite rubbish, he found it a bind and easier to manage with one arm. He manages so well and there isn't a lot he can't do except for things like tying shoelaces but he just buys shoes with velcro. There is akways a way round things and im very proud of how he copes and manages.

He ended up throwing his arm in the skip, I often chuckle about it if anyone saw it they must have thought what the heck, its notvevery day youvsee an arm lying about on a tip lol
I can imagine people’s reaction if they found his arm

All prostheses are heavy. They say that you use up to three times as much energy walking with two above knee prostheses like my girlfriend. I just have a ”bucket” prosthesis that I sit in as I can’t use prosthetic legs
Ullabi
Ullabi is female 

03-06-2021, 12:52 PM

Update. We now have our new disabled parking permits. The council is now convinced that we still don’t have arms or legs.

They did inform us though that we will have to go through the same process again in five years. I can’t understand why quite honestly because our disabilities are permanent but I couldn’t be bothered to argue the toss.

Local media did run the story and reactions as always varied from one extreme to the other. One person even wrote that as we can get around with wheelchairs and prostheses we didn’t need disabled parking.
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2021, 04:27 PM

Update. We now have our new disabled parking permits. The council is now convinced that we still don’t have arms or legs.

They did inform us though that we will have to go through the same process again in five years. I can’t understand why quite honestly because our disabilities are permanent but I couldn’t be bothered to argue the toss.

Local media did run the story and reactions as always varied from one extreme to the other. One person even wrote that as we can get around with wheelchairs and prostheses we didn’t need disabled parking.
I suggest that that person try using a wheelchair to get from a distant car park to the shops/office/doctor/etc then. Moron!
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2021, 05:17 PM

– Snip –

'Jobsworths' still exist then, you even have them in Sweden it seems!

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top