Join for free
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 > Last »
paula
scotland
paula is female  paula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2021, 06:16 PM

NHS records will be shared

In England your NHS records will be shared outside the health service unless you opt out befor 23rd June. data will be shared with researchers and companies outside the nhs. medical history 0f 55million patients will be imported to new database

this was on google news
Dodge
Kent, UK
Dodge is male  Dodge has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2021, 06:26 PM

Re: NHS records will be shared

Originally Posted by paula ->
In England your NHS records will be shared outside the health service unless you opt out befor 23rd June. data will be shared with researchers and companies outside the nhs. medical history 0f 55million patients will be imported to new database

this was on google news

Yes, I read about it on Metro website. For all intense purposes it's a money grab by the NHS because they are going to put everyone's NHS record into one database and that database will then be sold to whoever the NHS can get money from.
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2021, 06:27 PM

I saw that too, Paula.....its pretty awful. I mean, what about people (again) who can't access computers, the internet, or are even aware this is going to happen? All their private info being passed along and pored over by random strangers - beyond disgusting.
paula
scotland
paula is female  paula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2021, 06:33 PM

It really is disgusting, apparently you get a form from your gp to fill in if you want to opt out.....that's if you can see your gp...
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2021, 06:35 PM

It really is disgusting, apparently you get a form from your gp to fill in if you want to opt out.....that's if you can see your gp...
Aye, wonder how you manage to do THAT over the phone, eh?
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2021, 06:36 PM

this was on google news
I've just found this report, from a GP, about this. See link below:

https://inews.co.uk/opinion/nhs-data..._itw_theipaper

Another news story, this time from the Daily Mail:

https://www.express.co.uk/life-style...t-June-23-2021
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK

01-06-2021, 06:39 PM

I would sign a petition on this, if there was one.
paula
scotland

01-06-2021, 06:51 PM

I would too Pixie , if this is news of this just coming out, it's not giving folk much time to do anything about it. I remember when patients were not allowed to see their records, now this...it's unbelievable
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK

01-06-2021, 06:58 PM

I would too Pixie , if this is news of this just coming out, it's not giving folk much time to do anything about it. I remember when patients were not allowed to see their records, now this...it's unbelievable
This reminds me of when I was in hospital waiting for visitors, one afternoon. I took my records from the end of the bed and started to do my nosy. The nurse came in, whisked them off me, spilling water onto my bed as a result. She then had to change my bed and was furious because I had caused her so much bother over "something I had no business looking at - was I a doctor??" Jeez, lady calm down....!
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2021, 07:07 PM

this was on google news
Thanks for bringing this to our attention .....

As I understand this "scheme", it's not being introduced by "the NHS" but by NHS Digital:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NHS_Digital

NHS Digital is the trading name of the Health and Social Care Information Centre, which is the national provider of information, data and IT systems for commissioners, analysts and clinicians in health and social care in England, particularly those involved with the National Health Service of England. The organisation is an executive non-departmental public body of the Department of Health and Social Care.
Seemingly, therefore, this non-NHS service provider is introducing the scheme at the behest of the Minister of the Department of Health and Social Care, "Slippery" Hancock.

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...eds-explaining

The records being stored contain the most private details of a person’s life. The proposals suggest mass collection of every English patient’s history, including mental health episodes, their smoking and drinking habits, and diagnoses of diseases such as cancer. But it will also include dated instances of domestic violence, abortions, sexual histories and criminal offences.

Given the proposed scope of such a database, it is reasonable to ask who will be given this data, and for what purpose.
While medical bodies have been consulted, they have hardly given the plans a ringing endorsement. GPs may be reluctant, as they will be accountable for the data transfer. The audit trails of much less detailed hospital data which has been transferred to the private sector hardly inspires confidence in this government’s willingness to hold to account institutions that ignore safeguards. Campaigners point to shocking failures to enforce patient privacy, with little comeback for transgressors.

This is the biggest data grab in the history of the health service. NHS Digital says that “we do not allow data to be used solely for commercial purposes”. That is hardly reassuring. If the data was just partly used for commercial purposes presumably that is fine with Matt Hancock, the health secretary.

The public is likely to take a dim view of a government that allows informatics firms to pay for patients’ records, then sell “market access” and “market insights” for a substantial profit to a host of unreported drug, data and tech companies. There is no doubt about the power of AI to extract value by linking and reusing health data. It should ring alarm bells that ministers propose extracting sensitive personal medical records without clear purpose and with no meaningful information governance measures to keep pace with these developments.
How on earth is Hancock getting away with this .....

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top