Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-06-2021, 09:47 PM

Amazon - a step too far.

Our house is not and never will be smart

We don't have Alexis or any lookalike and with this on the offing we wont be having anything of that ilk anytime soon.

https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...reless-sharing
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-06-2021, 09:54 PM

Re: Amazon - a step too far.

Oh...oh no. Not having that.

I don't have anything connected to my Alexa, but simply the fact that Amazon do this, gives me the heebie jeebies. Apparently its really difficult to get out of and within a certain time limit too.

Well, Alexa, I unplugged you in less than a minute. Nice knowing you...or did you know me......?
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-06-2021, 10:00 PM

I agree with you both!
Bathsheba
Devon, UK
Bathsheba is female  Bathsheba has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-06-2021, 10:04 PM

Don't worry, the 'Sidewalk' service will not be coming to the UK. (Well, at least, not at the moment - who knows what the future may bring?)

https://www.trustedreviews.com/news/...-thing-4110698
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-06-2021, 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by Bathsheba ->
Don't worry, the 'Sidewalk' service will not be coming to the UK. (Well, at least, not at the moment - who knows what the future may bring?)

https://www.trustedreviews.com/news/...-thing-4110698
Sheba, just the fact it exists is pretty creepy....and what if they bring out some sort of UK version/similar? Together with the thread on NHS sharing data, I am concerned this kind of thing will become the norm.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-06-2021, 11:05 PM

this has to be a big market opener for a tech company that can roll out the same service without the data sharing risks. Someone out there could make a ton of dough providing privacy and convenience.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-06-2021, 11:28 PM

Orwell was ahead of his time!
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-06-2021, 08:27 AM

The trouble is with stuff like this is, today's gadget is tomorrow's necessity....Look how quickly we all got hooked into having a mobile phone, and now we can't do without them. Same with the internet, it used to be just for the geeks, and now you are not a member of society without it, and you miss out on so many things.
Vlad
West Midlands UK
Vlad is male  Vlad has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-06-2021, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
The trouble is with stuff like this is, today's gadget is tomorrow's necessity....Look how quickly we all got hooked into having a mobile phone, and now we can't do without them. Same with the internet, it used to be just for the geeks, and now you are not a member of society without it, and you miss out on so many things.
Yes indeed, Ring Doorbells are linked to the police in the US, Virgin media do WiFi hotspots..
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-06-2021, 09:04 AM

The proposal, called Amazon Sidewalk, involves the company’s devices being used as a springboard to build city-wide “mesh networks”
I have to smile we are about 50 years behind in our hamlet, no 'city wide mesh networks', if we can get 1.5 Mps when other uses are online on our end of the line broadband service we think we are having a good day.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top