Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Ullabi
Ullabi is female 

05-06-2021, 09:21 AM

Re: Good morning Saturday

Originally Posted by carol ->
Good morning everybody.

We have a skip in our market place once a month between 8.00am & 10.00am so this morning we're piling the car up with unwanted stuff & taking it there.

Have a good day all.
What do they do with everything you put in the skip? Is it recycled or does it go to landfill?

Don’t you have a recycling station you can take things to?
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2021, 09:45 AM

No fault detected with the car, and no charge made.

Ullabi, near where I lived in London, was a massive waste management plant. The chimney can be seen for miles. As they used to deliver garden compost to our allotment, some of us could book a tour, and I went one day with a couple from our site. The rubbish is brought in from various councils, weighed, and off loaded into huge bins. We were then shown into the furnace room where several members looked at lots of computers, and cameras, keeping an eye on the burning. We were given a little lunch and watched a video. It was an interesting visit.

I believe they no longer deliver compost to allotments, more to general sites for the public to get to, first come first served. The tour even included the open bins where waste was left stewing, to make the compost.

So in answer to your question, rubbish can be burnt, if there are the facilities to do so.
Ullabi
Ullabi is female 

05-06-2021, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->
No fault detected with the car, and no charge made.

Ullabi, near where I lived in London, was a massive waste management plant. The chimney can be seen for miles. As they used to deliver garden compost to our allotment, some of us could book a tour, and I went one day with a couple from our site. The rubbish is brought in from various councils, weighed, and off loaded into huge bins. We were then shown into the furnace room where several members looked at lots of computers, and cameras, keeping an eye on the burning. We were given a little lunch and watched a video. It was an interesting visit.

I believe they no longer deliver compost to allotments, more to general sites for the public to get to, first come first served. The tour even included the open bins where waste was left stewing, to make the compost.

So in answer to your question, rubbish can be burnt, if there are the facilities to do so.
Thanks for the reply. Yes much rubbish can be burned but what happens to rubbish that can’t be burned?

Here we have a central recycling station where we can take almost everything from grass cuttings to old white goods and put in the appropriate skips for recycling. So we sort our rubbish at home. Anything that can’t be recycled or used for compost is collected by the dustman and goes to the local power station and is burned to generate electricity. We contribute to that with about one carrier bag every two weeks. So I guess in our household we recycle about 99 percent of our rubbish in oneway or another.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2021, 10:15 AM

Good morning all another beautiful sunny day here.

Having a restful day to ease some aches and pains.

Enjoy your day everyone
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2021, 10:18 AM

Meg what a great photo of your two grandchildren canoeing, they look very professional at it.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top