Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2021, 09:09 AM

Re: 'Green Shopping'

I have seen a number of these shops on TV and one of the local organic shops has done something similar for years but you take your container, hand it to the assistant and they fill it for you. There is often quite a wait.

I am have not used it much because with food ingredients I like to know they are as fresh as they can be and not from some out of date sack that has been left partially open.
Wholemeal flour and spices in particular spoil quickly once opened.
It's ok for cleaning products.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2021, 09:09 AM

we used to be able to return Corona soft drinks bottles back and get some money back, and that was way back in the 1950/60's. so nothing is new.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2021, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
It is a good idea - in theory, Dex, but would need to be scrupulously managed - especially in these plague ridden times.

We used to have a couple of them in town - HS&E plus Environmental Health closed them down - reasons =

1. Irresponsible adults allowed their brats to put their hands in the tubs and play with the contents.

2. Irresponsible shop staff topped up half empty tubs with new on top of of old stock.

3. People had to queue twice - once to weigh things and again to pay at the till.

4. People who had over/under estimated what they had put in their containers had to put back/top up - then queue again.

At Christmas time the queues for dried fruit etc., were so long one could not get in to buy anything else.

Some good points you've made there, Tabs.
I'm beginning to think I would prefer my stuff to be in a sealed container and date stamped.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2021, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Some good points you've made there, Tabs.
I'm beginning to think I would prefer my stuff to be in a sealed container and date stamped.
Where there's a will, there's a way.

I reiterate my idea of people returning their packaging/container to a shop and being issued with a replacement.

After all, if you have a gas bottle for eg BBQ, you return the empty as part of the transaction.
Fruitcake
Somerset Riviera
Fruitcake is male  Fruitcake has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2021, 03:43 PM

This isn't a new idea. My Aunty/MiL used to go to shops like this with her mum during WW2.

Portishead isn't far from us but I wouldn't make a special trip just to use one shop unless it had something I couldn't get anywhere else.

We had a shop in the next town that had food bins like this thirty odd years ago, but I don't know if it is still going.

Like others have said, the main problems are maintaining hygiene and speed of service.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2021, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by Fruitcake ->
This isn't a new idea. My Aunty/MiL used to go to shops like this with her mum during WW2.

Portishead isn't far from us but I wouldn't make a special trip just to use one shop unless it had something I couldn't get anywhere else.

We had a shop in the next town that had food bins like this thirty odd years ago, but I don't know if it is still going.

Like others have said, the main problems are maintaining hygiene and speed of service.

And knowing how old the goods are!
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2021, 07:47 PM

We have one in Lowestoft town centre, opened in last year or so. I looked in their windows once when walking Holly, to see what they sold. They do have the paraben/SLS free shampoo etc I use but at 90p/100ml. Not such a big saving.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2021, 07:55 PM

We have such a shop just up the road from us. We did look in there just the once but found that the prices were higher than the supermarket, which is strange considering there is no packaging. It is still trading despite lockdown but rarely do I see anyone in there.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2021, 07:59 PM

Years ago, l used to go to a shop which l think must be similar to this and they had barrels of different things... spices, pasta rice, dried fruit etc.

I only ever bought a little bit of ground nutmeg to put on top of the rice puddings l made!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2021, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Years ago, l used to go to a shop which l think must be similar to this and they had barrels of different things... spices, pasta rice, dried fruit etc.

I only ever bought a little bit of ground nutmeg to put on top of the rice puddings l made!
I can remember shops like that when I was young.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top