Join for free
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2021, 09:15 AM

Wuthering Heights

I've never read the book, or watched any of the many adaptions made for big and small screen ... until yesterday.

On Netflix, two hours of pretty poor acting, filmed on a shaky in-yer-face video camera. God it was bleak, but it's supposed to be! This Film4's 2011 offering was wowed at the Cannes Film Festival. A story of lost love, necrophilia and incest. A blackman played by a blackman, it wouldn't happen in 2021, racism, foul language. Is this as good as it gets?

I've listen to Kate Bush again, while reading the lyrics this time. How romantic!

Any other WutheringHeightisms to look out for?
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2021, 09:22 AM

Re: Wuthering Heights

In the the book Heathcliff was not a blackman but of unknown possibly gipsy parentage .
He was clearly going by the story a handsome man but manipulative cruel and obsessive .
He was in short a nasty piece of work
Cathy was a spoilt selfish brat who repaid kindness with bad behaviour and retaining only her loyalty to Heathcliff .
Neither had empathy for anyone.
Great book
The old film with Laurence Olivier is better l
Psmith
melbourne australia
Psmith is male  Psmith has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2021, 09:38 AM

I thought they were both a right pain in the neck.I've never wanted to read it again.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2021, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by Psmith ->
I thought they were both a right pain in the neck.I've never wanted to read it again.
I thought the same, Psmith & the musical with Cliff Richard in it was dire. Dreadful acting. My opinion anyway others probably liked it.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2021, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by d00d ->
I've never read the book, or watched any of the many adaptions made for big and small screen ... until yesterday.

On Netflix, two hours of pretty poor acting, filmed on a shaky in-yer-face video camera. God it was bleak, but it's supposed to be! This Film4's 2011 offering was wowed at the Cannes Film Festival. A story of lost love, necrophilia and incest. A blackman played by a blackman, it wouldn't happen in 2021, racism, foul language. Is this as good as it gets?

I've listen to Kate Bush again, while reading the lyrics this time. How romantic!

That film sounds right to my taste! Ticks most of my boxes, I must get a copy if it's on DVD.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2021, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by d00d ->

I agree with you d00d, in fact I seem to remember starting a thread on this very subject a few years ago. I have seen the original film and thought it was dreadful and I have read the book which was equally dreadful in my opinion. As for Film4's version, I will give it a miss. Anything that does well at Cannes is always worth missing.
Tregonsee
Lancashire UK
Tregonsee is male  Tregonsee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2021, 10:50 AM

With reference to the song.
I always considered the work of Kate Bush to be pretentious twaddle in a silly little girl voice.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top