Join for free
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 > Last »
Harbal
South Yorkshire
Harbal is male  Harbal has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2021, 10:46 AM

Garry Glitter

For those of us familiar with Garry Glitter, the name evokes thoughts of sordid trips to the Far East, and nefarious sexual practices with underage girls. This is what has come to define Garry Glitter, and rightly so, but let us remember that there was more to the man than that.

Glitter’s successful pop career has been totally eclipsed by his subsequent fall from grace, and it is easy to forget what an atrocious performer he was. His singing was truly awful, and his stage performance was clumsy and ridiculous. His output was completely lacking in any merit whatsoever.

This, of course, does not mitigate any of his later crimes; it simply adds to them. I like to think that when he was sentenced for his perverted sexual activities, a couple of years were added on for what he did to pop music. While that is highly unlikely, it is my way of consoling myself that he didn’t get away with it in the end.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2021, 10:50 AM

Re: Garry Glitter

I believe he's due for release soon, there was something about it in the paper a week or so ago, but I didn't read it all.
Harbal
South Yorkshire
Harbal is male  Harbal has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2021, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I believe he's due for release soon,
I suppose he's bound to be released eventually, but I doubt if any more of his terrible music ever will be.
Oldbod
United Kingdom
Oldbod is female 

13-06-2021, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by Harbal ->
I suppose he's bound to be released eventually, but I doubt if any more of his terrible music ever will be.
I sincerely hope you are correct.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2021, 11:13 AM

Hi

I do not like kiddy fiddlers.

I have no time for him at all.
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2021, 11:18 AM

Well...I have to say that I liked Glitters music (when I was too young to know any different.) He was so over the top and dramatic and his music was so bad it was good!
There have been many weird offensive people who have done incredible things, and why should their deviant acts overshadow all the good they did? Loath the person by all means, but their actions helped others and that shouldn't be dismissed.
Feey
Ireland
Feey is male  Feey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2021, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I believe he's due for release soon, there was something about it in the paper a week or so ago, but I didn't read it all.
i believe this is the story you read in full and yes they saying he due for release later this year

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/100813...ck-roll-joker/
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2021, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by Pixie Knuckles ->
Well...I have to say that I liked Glitters music (when I was too young to know any different.) He was so over the top and dramatic and his music was so bad it was good!
There have been many weird offensive people who have done incredible things, and why should their deviant acts overshadow all the good they did? Loath the person by all means, but their actions helped others and that shouldn't be dismissed.
You make a very good point Pixie, how do we know Beethoven, Strauss or Handel didn't have a few skeletons in their cupboards..? I will still enjoy their music whatever they did..... Well perhaps not Strauss, he's a bit too much 1 2 3 for my liking...
caricature
Devon,England.
caricature is male  caricature has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2021, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by Harbal ->
For those of us familiar with Garry Glitter, the name evokes thoughts of sordid trips to the Far East, and nefarious sexual practices with underage girls. This is what has come to define Garry Glitter, and rightly so, but let us remember that there was more to the man than that.

Glitter’s successful pop career has been totally eclipsed by his subsequent fall from grace, and it is easy to forget what an atrocious performer he was. His singing was truly awful, and his stage performance was clumsy and ridiculous. His output was completely lacking in any merit whatsoever.

This, of course, does not mitigate any of his later crimes; it simply adds to them. I like to think that when he was sentenced for his perverted sexual activities, a couple of years were added on for what he did to pop music. While that is highly unlikely, it is my way of consoling myself that he didn’t get away with it in the end.
I've said before, Glitter's music rightly or wrongly is not played, yet a convicted murderer by the name of Spector has his music played, go figure.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2021, 12:00 PM

Always found the man Paul Gadd creepy and Garry Glitter a rather pathetic name for any 'musician' ...

A creepy man who made an awful noise and pretended it was music

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top