Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2012, 10:35 PM

The 4th Dimension

If there were such a thing, and you could travel in time, which era would you like to see, either the past or future, and why?

I think I'd start off by going back to the 50s, as an adult of course, and watch the rock and roll era emerge from that perspective, then I'd move to somewhere else.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2012, 10:51 PM

Re: The 4th Dimension

My son tells me we will be able to travel through time one day . He tried to explain how this would be possible but I couldn't understand it

Mollie I would not want to see the 50's again, I found it a dull depressing time drab houses drab clothes and endless sundays with nothing happening .

I think I might like to go back to 1974, the year I met my husband . At the time I couldn't believe it was possible to be so happy and was scared it was too good to last and I was right.
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2012, 11:00 PM

Ah that's sad, Meg.

I was a child in the 50s so my memory of that time is one of happiness, milk bars, Wurlitzers belting out music, and lots of other things.

If it were safe, I'd like to go back to the Stone Age to get a first hand account as to how our early ancestors lived.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2012, 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by Mollie ->
Ah that's sad, Meg.

I was a child in the 50s so my memory of that time is one of happiness, milk bars, Wurlitzers belting out music, and lots of other things.

If it were safe, I'd like to go back to the Stone Age to get a first hand account as to how our early ancestors lived.
Mollie I was just a young child then too but can only remember the drabness of everything . I guess this was partly due to having recently gone through a war and my being an unhappy child.

Mmmm not sure about the stone age I like my creature comforts too much
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire

09-08-2012, 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Mollie I was just a young child then too but can only remember the drabness of everything . I guess this was partly due to having recently gone through a war and my being an unhappy child.

Mmmm not sure about the stone age I like my creature comforts too much
Unhappiness can have a huge effect on one's perspective of what is around them at any age.

Oh, I wouldn't want to live in the Stone Age; perhaps a day or so, provided I didn't get dragged off by my hair and clubbed over the head by an owld caveman.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2012, 12:08 AM

Have to put my tuppence worth in on this one before I go to bed.
I'm like Meg as regards the 50's Mollie, a decade I want to forget for too many reasons, drab indeed, harsh poverty, shortages after the war, not to mention my Father spending the greater part of the 50's in a sanatorium with TB. my choice would be the thirties, I love all the art deco of that time and the style of dress, the women looking ever so sexy in their slim gowns and smoking from long slender cigarette holders, lashings of velvet and lace and not a piece of the dreaded plastic in sight, pure elegance. I know of the other side of it too, the misery and the poverty, but I fell in love with the screen images and the writings of Agatha Christie and Noel Coward, everybody seemed to enjoy life to the full and there was always happy endings. My mind goes back there when I'm feeling low and although it's all in the head I still enjoy thinking about it. Put me on the next bus there please.
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire

10-08-2012, 12:35 AM

I can understand all of that, truly I can and yes, you're right about the elegance of people in the 30s.

So apart from the 30s, where else would you like to travel to?

I was chatting to a colleague at work today about this, hence the idea for the thread. He's my age and an extremely intelligent bloke who has a great knowledge about the Roman Empire, and that's where he said he'd like to go and meet Marcus Aurelius et al. He's intelligent, but bonkers as well. A bit like Magnus Pyke!
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2012, 01:06 AM

I'd like to spend some time (somewhere safe) back in the era of the dinasaurs, I would just love to see them, as long as they couldn't get at me that is
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire

10-08-2012, 01:13 AM

Believe it or not, that's what my colleague said today, back in the Jurassic or Cretaceous age, but I'd like to go further back to the Permian to see just exactly how life began when we crawled out of the murky swamps.

I've also toyed with the idea of what it would be like to pop 100 years into the future, to see how technology has progressed and, if it does, is it for the betterment of mankind?

After all, look at what has happened in the last 100 years. TV, radio, petrol cars, space science, electronics, computerisation, medical treatment - blimey, the list is endless - so, what will the future hold with technology. Or maybe we'd be best not knowing.
Eggiebread
Bristol, UK
Eggiebread is female  Eggiebread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2012, 08:25 AM

Waves to everyone For me it would have to be travelling back to the mythical times of King Arthur. I wonder if as a female I would have met the same fate as Joan of Arc for wanting to wear armour and bear arms?? Or would the court of Arthur have been progressive about female knights?
Other than that , to travel back to the time of DaVinci and watch him at work.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top