Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-08-2012, 09:37 AM

Re: But for the grace of God go I.

Being a newbie I guess there's no reason why I can't put up a reply in verse.................
This is based on real events.

Phil Garlick wasn’t a difficult man
but didn’t fit in anywhere-- and

Wandered all day around the city streets
Avoiding all by staring at his feet

With clean shaven jaw and flat cloth hat
Long gabardine mac. He always wore that.

I always nodded , smiled and said hello
After a while he’d nod pause then go

But on days he was unshaven he was hard to predict
He’d eyeball folks and give them verbal stick

One day he helped himself to a tin of salmon
He knew he would be caught

But the store detective couldn’t hang on
To him, cos matters became fraught

A crowd of folks gathered and hid him away
He wasn’t expecting that sort of help that day

The crowd that took the law into their own hands
Helped him not all, the poor starving lamb.

He stole to be taken into the warm
That was his historical form

They found him dead just a short week later
Frozen starving under some old newspapers
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-08-2012, 09:46 AM

I helped on a soup run many years ago. I was struck by the wide range of folks turning up out of nowhere. For the most part they were badly down on their fortunes following a collapse in their job marriage or finance or a combination of factors. Some where obviously mentally ill & should have been somewhere safe. This was back in the 1970s when there were relatively safe places, sadly there is little help for genuine men or women today.

I agree that beggars can be quite intimidating. I’ve offered food & drink, but it’s ,in my experience, always refused.
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2012, 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by plantman ->
Arthur, if you were to Google "Help for homeless people" then you would find a myriad of organisations which can offer help of all types from food to accommodation to retraining and job seeking.

I am by no means demeaning the plight of some of these people, my whole point is that they need to want the help that is available, and obviously not all of them do..
Barry, I'm not sure how homeless people would know how to Google, far less know how to use a computer, and they most definitely wouldn't own one.

I heard on the radio today that squatting will soon become illegal so, for those unfortunates who have found shelter in an unused property, probably due for demolition, they will be put into jail, which will be a haven for them in one respect, but yet an extra burden on the tax-payer.

There have been people living on the streets for 100s of years.

Here's a quote from Charles Dickens' A Christmas Carol:

“At this festive season of the year, Mr Scrooge,” said the gentleman, taking up a pen, “it is more than usually desirable that we should make some slight provision for the poor and destitute, who suffer greatly at the present time. Many thousands are in want of common necessaries; hundreds of thousands are in want of common comforts, sir.”

“Are there no prisons?” asked Scrooge.

“Plenty of prisons,” said the gentleman, laying down the pen again.

“And the Union workhouses?” demanded Scrooge. “Are they still in operation?”

“They are. Still,” returned the gentleman, “ I wish I could say they were not.”

“The Treadmill and the Poor Law are in full vigour, then?” said Scrooge.

“Both very busy, sir.”

“Oh! I was afraid, from what you said at first, that something had occurred to stop them in their useful course,” said Scrooge. “I’m very glad to hear it.”

“Under the impression that they scarcely furnish Christian cheer of mind or body to the multitude,” returned the gentleman, “a few of us are endeavouring to raise a fund to buy the Poor some meat and drink, and means of warmth. We choose this time, because it is a time, of all others, when Want is keenly felt, and Abundance rejoices. What shall I put you down for?”

“Nothing!” Scrooge replied.

“You wish to be anonymous?”

“I wish to be left alone,” said Scrooge. “Since you ask me what I wish, gentlemen, that is my answer. I don’t make merry myself at Christmas and I can’t afford to make idle people merry. I help to support the establishments I have mentioned: they cost enough: and those who are badly off must go there.”

“Many can’t go there; and many would rather die.”

“If they would rather die,” said Scrooge, “they had better do it, and decrease the surplus population.”

This is the 21st century when billions of pounds and dollars are spent on things like sporting events. I can't get my head round that at all, when folk are literally going hungry and freezing to death on the streets of every town in this country. More should be done.
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2012, 04:23 PM

There are all sorts of people on the streets not just simple minded once all sorts all classes and and There for the Grace of God go us all.Oh boy do I have big conversations about it in my head to God.Now you can say what you like about me I dont care.
LovelyMeerkat
Lancashire
LovelyMeerkat is female  LovelyMeerkat has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2012, 09:37 PM

I knew of a homeless chap once. He was a tall slim guy of West Indian appearance. He always wore a bubble hat no matter what the weather and would hang around the train station. The station staff would bring him hot drinks and the occasional bit of food. He would walk around muttering to himself. Everyone called him Mad Mick.

One day I learnt what had happened to Mick. He was a family man with a wife and two teenage children, working as a solicitor. He had gone out for a quiet drink with friends one evening. When he left the pub, he was attacked and viciously beaten. The attack turned his mind and he was never the same. Very sad.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2012, 10:18 PM

Very sad indeed Helen, it can happen to anybody we never know what's around the next corner.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2012, 10:30 PM

True, many speak with certainty from inside their Cranium but fail to realise internal or external influence can debase them.
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2012, 10:31 PM

I am a beggar too, so think when you pass a beggar, it could be you.
Drop a bob or two if you can afford, it might make all the difference to someone, and could even save their lives.
I think I posted this in poets sometime back, but I will repeat it now, after reading Helen's post.
I wrote this back in 2007 after seeing a tramp going through the town.

The Tramp

I travelled down the town one day,
And I saw a tramp wending his way,
Amongst the crowds, with a hand held out,
Often the kids would jeer and shout.

Down and out and he looked quite grim,
Everybody ignoring the man so slim.
I offered to take him to the pub,
Thanks kind sir, I would like some grub.

He spoke very well, for a man so down,
Then he told me he used to be a clown.
Nobody seems to want me these days,
I live by the canal that’s where I lays.

He ate his food then off he went,
I thought that was money well spent.
I thought maybe I would look him out,
And see if I could find the down and out.

A couple of weeks later I took a walk
And found him, and we had a long talk.
Down by the canal we sat and chatted,
About how he looked with his hair so matted.

I have some shampoo and brush with me,
Some clothes I had that might fit thee.
With tears down his face, he took the gift,
How such a small thing his spirit did lift.

I said tomorrow I would come again,
I would come I promised sun or rain.
Come the next day I couldn’t wait,
To go and chat to my new found mate.

Along the towpath I looked for him,
Then this young chap smart and slim.
Came towards me and took my hand,
I now have more faith now in this land.

I kept in touch with the tramp now smart,
He thanked me again for his new start.
He had now got a job and lived in a flat,
I was very pleased for him about that.

Just goes to show what a pound can do,
He is married now with kiddies too.
I’m Godfather now to John and Jack,
I never did get my pound back.

But for the Grace of God go I, or maybe you!
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2012, 07:53 AM

"This is the 21st century when billions of pounds and dollars are spent on things like sporting events. I can't get my head round that at all, when folk are literally going hungry and freezing to death on the streets of every town in this country. More should be done. "

So what would you do? Cancel the Olympics? Abandon space exploration?

It do not think that it would make the slightest difference.. Sorry, it would - it would deprive millions of people of entertainment and set back scientific advancement for years.
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2012, 08:04 AM

George said : ----it would deprive millions of people of entertainment and set back scientific advancement for years.

Firstly George, the Tories are depriving millions of entertainment, by putting them out of work.
As for setting back scientific advancement for years, perhaps that wouldn't be a bad thing, I think all the money wasted going to the moon etc. was and is a complete waste.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top