Join for free
Page 11 of 14 « First < 9 10 11 12 13 > Last »
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2019, 12:23 PM

Re: Petition by Age UK protesting withdrawal of free TV licences for over 75s

Thing is that the TV license is used to pay for so much more that the Beeb do. Radio for example, then there the very big presence on the internet.

But as for high salaries bear in mind that the Beeb sell a huge amount of --- product to other broadcasters and many broadcast faces are very popular to them, in a couple of cases a lot more than here!
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2019, 07:41 AM

Found this item on the ITV online news, nothing that I could find on BBC online news though, I wonder why?

Anyway that aside, an update on news of what's happening with over-75s not on Pension Credit, having to pay for a television licence from next year:

https://www.itv.com/news/2019-07-18/...ence-payments/
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2019, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
Found this item on the ITV online news, nothing that I could find on BBC online news though, I wonder why?

Anyway that aside, an update on news of what's happening with over-75s not on Pension Credit, having to pay for a television licence from next year:

https://www.itv.com/news/2019-07-18/...ence-payments/
An easy three-point solution:

1. Just tell them to bugger off.

2. If they refuse to leave your property (the front path/garden), photograph them for identification and I think they'll back down.

3. If they don't, call the police and tell them you have trespassers on your property making threats!
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2019, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
An easy three-point solution:

1. Just tell them to bugger off.

– Snip –
An even easier one-point solution:

1. Just don't answer the front door to anyone. I can see anyone at the front door from my lounge window so nobody, unless I know them or if they have made a prior appointment, ever gets an answer from me – that works a treat!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2019, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
An even easier one-point solution:

1. Just don't answer the front door to anyone. I can see anyone at the front door from my lounge window so nobody, unless I know them or if they have made a prior appointment, ever gets an answer from me – that works a treat!

I bet you miss quite a few parcel deliveries!
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2019, 02:46 PM

I sign every petition regarding great causes such as this.
However, it doesn't stop me from being disillusioned with regard to every petition that is presented for debate by Parliament. I have yet to see ONE that has gone in favour of the petition. Does anyone know if a petition by the people has EVER succeeded, because I don't! Each time I sign one I am notified by email how the result went, and it has never ever been in the petitioners favour.

Sometimes I think they only allowed this process of petition just to shut us up from complaining. I'm also beginning to think it wouldn't matter if 10 million signatures were gained, it wouldn't make the slightest difference. It's so disheartening.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

18-07-2019, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
I sign every petition regarding great causes such as this.
However, it doesn't stop me from being disillusioned with regard to every petition that is presented for debate by Parliament. I have yet to see ONE that has gone in favour of the petition. Does anyone know if a petition by the people has EVER succeeded, because I don't! Each time I sign one I am notified by email how the result went, and it has never ever been in the petitioners favour.

Sometimes I think they only allowed this process of petition just to shut us up from complaining. I'm also beginning to think it wouldn't matter if 10 million signatures were gained, it wouldn't make the slightest difference. It's so disheartening.
I agree. I said recently that my experiences are exactly the same as yours. There is always some politely worded response from the government outlining that they don't feel the motion is necessary/advisable/appropriate/etc.

I don't bother to sign any these days, as it is pointless.

I will certainly vote appropriately at the next general election, though.
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2019, 05:02 PM

Petitions, referendums and elections are a waste of time, they are only offered up in order to support the myth that we live in a democracy.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

18-07-2019, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by Rehab44 ->
Petitions, referendums and elections are a waste of time, they are only offered up in order to support the myth that we live in a democracy.
I disagree - in part.

Elections are not a waste of time, though it depends on who's standing.

I agree that all of the current parties represented in the Commons are not worth supporting now.

However, if the Brexit Party stands in the next GE, as Farage has promised, the position could be completely different. People would, at last, have an option worth voting for.
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2019, 05:07 PM

When has a politician that you voted for actually delivered on his promises?

Page 11 of 14 « First < 9 10 11 12 13 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top