Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-03-2020, 12:25 PM

Garage Door

When we first moved in, the Garage which is detached from the house still had the original 50/50 split side opening wooden doors on, which were looking rather the worse for wear, so, being on a budget having just moved house I fitted a Wickes composite up and over door. Over the years, this gave nothing but trouble, jumping the runners, cables slipping off guides, so much so I ended up cutting the cables to allow the thing to close.
It is now coming time to get the summer car out, so, I went on Ebay and had a nose, there was, located in the nearest town a brand new 50/50 split steel door with the manufacturers name stated, so, I looked it up, in this configuration they are £620.00 retail, this one was at a starting bid of £200.00 which was what I won it at, turns out the seller is located in the same village as me, and he delivered it FOC, what a bargain!
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-03-2020, 12:31 PM

Re: Garage Door

Pleased for you Spitty, it's good to win one now and again.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-03-2020, 01:01 PM

Barry, just had to get it the right side of the gates so the Tat Man don't take it when I go back out, it weighs a ton.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-03-2020, 10:54 PM

That's an 'Up and Over' then Spitty.....
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-03-2020, 11:09 PM

OOH garage doors

the original up/over ones here the previous owner took down and raised the entrance on one so he could get his large camper van in. He then built and erected huge wooden doors ( to first floor house level size to give some idea). Then proceeded to fit cheap yale type lock. He left the other door as was.Well these damn great wooden doors caught the wind and the devel to keep open or close

So I got a local firm to take them both out and fit electric roller shutter doors to both. Best thing ever, drive up use the remote fob and open one door or the other without getting out of the car. They are fully alarmed as well. If we have a power cut we can wind them up manually or down with no problem. Fantastic , wish I had them on previous houses

Have to say I don't really understand why new house builds don't have them
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-03-2020, 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
OOH garage doors

the original up/over ones here the previous owner took down and raised the entrance on one so he could get his large camper van in. He then built and erected huge wooden doors ( to first floor house level size to give some idea). Then proceeded to fit cheap yale type lock. He left the other door as was.Well these damn great wooden doors caught the wind and the devel to keep open or close

So I got a local firm to take them both out and fit electric roller shutter doors to both. Best thing ever, drive up use the remote fob and open one door or the other without getting out of the car. They are fully alarmed as well. If we have a power cut we can wind them up manually or down with no problem. Fantastic , wish I had them on previous houses

My dream is to someday have an automatic roly garage door fitted.....you have just convinced me that the time is right realspeed.....
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-03-2020, 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
OOH garage doors

Yes they arengreat RS! The first ones l had were chain operated
but worked easily, just two hard pulls took them up!
When we moved l fitted some electric remote operated ones which
worked even better!
I wouldnt fit any other type in future, allthough that is not likely!

Donkeyman!
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-03-2020, 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
My dream is to someday have an automatic roly garage door fitted.....you have just convinced me that the time is right realspeed.....

we used this company

https://www.dimensiongaragedoors.co.uk/

Not only fitted the doors but also had to do a fair bit of alteration as well to the opening. I can highly recommend them and suprisingly enough not as expensive as I imagined

one advantage is they don't take up any space when opening or closing. Up/over doors swing out and up, hinge doors swing sidways . In either case you can't park a car right up against the doors incase to want to open them.
With the roller ones we have no problem.

No getting out of the car to open or close them either

OGF sent you a PM " it includes the alarm don't forget "
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-03-2020, 10:12 AM

We had an electric roller garage door. It went wrong after about a year (kept seizing up) and the company that fitted it had gone bust. Just a poor choice of company I suppose but I decided not to take a chance on another. We had a new 'up and over' door fitted instead and I'll stick with that.

One thing that used to annoy me a bit when the electric roller door was working OK was the length of time it took to wind up and down. I'd quite often get my bike out, close the door and then remember something else that I needed. Up goes the door in its own time again and then the same amount of time back down.

With the new up and over door, it's quickly up in a second or three and back down in the same length of time. Much better for me.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-03-2020, 10:31 AM

My up and over garage door does take up garage space when in operation. Since I added a bar to the roof of my car for an awning I have to reverse in.

This is the door fully open you can see the offending bar on the car: The top of the door runs in the groove at each end, you can just see the silver coloured bottom of the runner at the far edge of the door.

When the door is shut it slops downward as it slides and the bar stops it going any further. Previously it missed the end for the car the canopy being that much lower.

The door is Colourbond of course and 40 years old but still going strong but the car has to go in backwards. You can see the door above the car.

BTW this garage was designed to withstand a cyclone hence the choice of door rather than a rolladoor for example (not that you get many cyclones where I live)

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	180716 005 Car Awning Garage Door Problem.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	28.9 KB
ID:	11799   Click image for larger version

Name:	180716 007 Car Awning Garage Door Problem.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	21.8 KB
ID:	11800   Click image for larger version

Name:	180716 010 Car Awning Garage Door Problem.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	21.9 KB
ID:	11801   Click image for larger version

Name:	180716 011 Car Awning Garage Door Problem.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	11802  

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top