Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2020, 09:43 PM

My best pototo salad

I will cut down the size of my recipe so you don't end up with a potful.

Serves 3 people (keeps well in frig for 2-3 days)

3 medium Lg, Russet (baking)potatoes
1/4 cup of bottled Italian salad dressing
mayonnaise
2 sticks of celery, finely chopped but NOT minced
3 sticks of green onion, finely chopped
green olive with pimento, or use "salad" olives already sliced
yellow mustard, liquid NOT powdered
paprika
celery seed
salt and pepper to taste.

Boil potatoes on medium heat until potatoes slide off when a sharp knife is inserted. Remove potatoes and Set aside to cool. This also insures your potatoes are properly done. You want to end up with a potato that is NOT a bit hard. You should be able to squash the potato with your tongue.

Remove skin.
Cut potatoes into aprox 2 cm cubes.
Place potatoes in a bowl and add the Italian dressing and toss well to coat. Set aside so that the Italian dressing will be soaked up.
Add only enough mayonnaise to completely coat the potatoes. Stir well.
Add, celery, green onion, celery seed and a few drops of yellow mustard. stir well
Add a few pinches of paprika and enough sliced green olives as seems right to you. Stir well.
Taste and correct for salt and pepper.
Cover with plastic wrap and chill for a few hours.
You should have ended up with a slightly creamy potato salad but with many semi-whole cubes.
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2020, 10:02 PM

Re: My best pototo salad

Sounds quite delicious Bakerman ,i will have to try it out .
smile
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2020, 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by APRICOT ->
Sounds quite delicious Bakerman ,i will have to try it out .
smile

Thank you. I hope you will enjoy it. I have made dozens and dozens of different recipes but this is the best by far.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2020, 10:23 PM

That sounds wonderful - have copied it into my recipe file. Am venturing out to Sainsbury's tomorrow so will collect what ingredients I don't already have.

Not sure about Italian salad dressing - don't remember ever seeing that one so fingers crossed!
bakerman
Mexico

27-04-2020, 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
That sounds wonderful - have copied it into my recipe file. Am venturing out to Sainsbury's tomorrow so will collect what ingredients I don't already have.

Not sure about Italian salad dressing - don't remember ever seeing that one so fingers crossed!
The UK does not have anything like these ? What do Brits put on their tossed green salads ?

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	d18b6ca2-5235-4297-b649-bd00aceca714_1.3b466c041543dd979e7e469f985f1359.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	24.1 KB
ID:	12407   Click image for larger version

Name:	OIP.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	17.3 KB
ID:	12408  
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2020, 04:06 AM

Will look for them when at the shops this morning, Bakerman. I am sure there will be something similar - I usually make my own salad dressings and mayonnaise - so have never really looked at the bottled ones.
bakerman
Mexico

28-04-2020, 04:29 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Will look for them when at the shops this morning, Bakerman. I am sure there will be something similar - I usually make my own salad dressings and mayonnaise - so have never really looked at the bottled ones.
great. Pls let me know how you made out at the market.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!

28-04-2020, 11:50 AM

Mission accomplished!

Looked in ALDI but they only had stuff in plastic, squeezy, bottles and I will not touch anything that comes in plastic.

Went to Sainsbury's - found the Italian Dressing - in a glass bottle - supposedly a Paul Newman recipe - is that a good one? It smells nice.

Bought some extra eggs to make my own mayo.

Bakerman - I am assuming that what you call 'green onions' are what are known as 'Spring Onions' in the UK and, where I come from, they are 'Scallions'! Whatever they are called - I bought three big bunches - I love them!

No problem with russet potatoes and celery - the rest of the ingredients are stuff that I keep in stock anyway.

Will play nicely in the kitchen later this afternoon!
bakerman
Mexico

28-04-2020, 02:59 PM

Tabby, Yes, you are correct. Spring onions = green onions.

Paul Newman's Italian dressing should work fine, though I've never personally tasted it.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!

28-04-2020, 07:35 PM

Bakerman - thank you!

That really is the best potato I have ever made or tasted!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top