Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2020, 03:08 PM

Question For Foxy

Hi Foxy, followed the instructions on Youtube to disassemble my Morphy Richards Bread Maker on the assumption that the drivebelt was trashed. First of, the guy in the video was a yank (I'll put the video up at the end of this post) starts of removing five phillips screws on the base, on ours the two middle ones were anti-tamper which need drilling out. Next we move onto the eight screws that hold the liner, note the guy undoing them with a relatively small screwdriver and finger pressure, ours was a nightmare they were rock solid, after struggling with five of them, I had to go to Screwfix and buy and extra long Screwdriver which took the next two with ease, the eight one was too far rounded and had to be drilled out. Finally and my question to you, our strap connecter was solid, and, in the attempts to remove it, I knocked what appears to be a diode or something, next to the strap connector, the wire to the board seems to be OK, do you think it is.

As you can see in the second photo, most of the remains of the belt are wound round the small pulley.

Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2020, 06:17 PM

Re: Question For Foxy

Hi spitty
Not sure if you can test continuity through that ( capacitor.?) but if you can it might be ok, if you can get the pulley off without a bearing extractor, then use a Stanley knife to cut as much of the belt off as poss, if not you can do it in stitu, if the pulley is grooved then clean each groove otherwise the belt will slip..
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2020, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by Primus1 ->
Hi spitty
Not sure if you can test continuity through that ( capacitor.?) but if you can it might be ok, if you can get the pulley off without a bearing extractor, then use a Stanley knife to cut as much of the belt off as poss, if not you can do it in stitu, if the pulley is grooved then clean each groove otherwise the belt will slip..
Hi Primus1, my mince pies ain't too good close up, so, my son is home tonight who has done some PCB work in the past. I will get him to inspect it. The pulley cleaned up alright in situ, the belt is £20.00, so that alone will make it worth repairing, if that component is detached, I do have a Soldering Iron, but would be tampering around in unknown territory, and, as a good used one of these is just the right side of £50.00, this one may be heading for the recycling.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

21-06-2020, 06:58 PM

Just had another look, there is a wire adrift, and the blob of solder on the back of the board is missing, It looks like the board is held on with three screws, it might be worth a punt.

Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2020, 07:35 PM

Yes give it a go spitty, you’ve nowt to lose...
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2020, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Hi Foxy, followed the instructions on Youtube to disassemble my Morphy Richards Bread Maker on the assumption that the drivebelt was trashed. First of, the guy in the video was a yank (I'll put the video up at the end of this post) starts of removing five phillips screws on the base, on ours the two middle ones were anti-tamper which need drilling out. Next we move onto the eight screws that hold the liner, note the guy undoing them with a relatively small screwdriver and finger pressure, ours was a nightmare they were rock solid, after struggling with five of them, I had to go to Screwfix and buy and extra long Screwdriver which took the next two with ease, the eight one was too far rounded and had to be drilled out. Finally and my question to you, our strap connecter was solid, and, in the attempts to remove it, I knocked what appears to be a diode or something, next to the strap connector, the wire to the board seems to be OK, do you think it is.

If the soldered joints on the strap connector look okay it might just be the contacts inside the connector that have pulled out slightly. Try and gently ease the strap connector back into position. Next to the strap connector is what looks like a resistor. Unless it has physically broken it will probably be okay. It might need resoldering back on the board though. Next to the resistor is a transistor, just as resilient as the resistor but you might have loosened the soldered joint underneath.

If you have to solder any of the joints use thin solder with flux already impregnated in the solder and avoid using too much heat - Quick in and out.... The worst thing that could happen is that you accidentally blob solder on the joint next to the one you are soldering...And short them out.....It would be easier if your soldering iron has a small tip....

I've just had a closer look at the underside of the circuit board and the strap connector might need a little heat on the last couple of contacts when you ease it back into place.
Don't use solder until it has seated back onto the board, just a little heat.
Good luck Spitty, it's a pity you don't live a bit closer....
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

21-06-2020, 10:21 PM

After all the effort getting the thing apart, I will have a Stab at what you say, and replace the belt as well , the sarnies are on me if its successful.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

24-06-2020, 11:31 AM

Foxy, what I was going to do was buy a similar model for spares or repair and swop the PBC lock stock and barrel, but, before I Bid, I tried to remove the connecters on my PCB, but, in the manufacturing process, some sort of hot glue has been applied to the joint lines on the connectors, so, I may do more damage trying to separate them, looks like my attempt to recycle has hit the buffers, could be looking at a new appliance.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

24-06-2020, 11:33 AM

I am also perplexed by those fine strings you can see in the photo linking components.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-06-2020, 05:11 PM

Foxy, what I was going to do was buy a similar model for spares or repair and swop the PBC lock stock and barrel, but, before I Bid, I tried to remove the connecters on my PCB, but, in the manufacturing process, some sort of hot glue has been applied to the joint lines on the connectors, so, I may do more damage trying to separate them, looks like my attempt to recycle has hit the buffers, could be looking at a new appliance.
Yes they do that sometimes Spitty to prevent moisture from getting into the board and to stop the components from vibrating loose......And to stop unauthorised tinkering...

I am also perplexed by those fine strings you can see in the photo linking components.
By 'fine strings' do you mean the copper track on the circuit board?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top