Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Zuleika
North West UK
Zuleika is female  Zuleika has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-06-2020, 06:17 PM

Re: Huge Power surge - Power Cut - Reminder?

Originally Posted by LongDriver ->
Please describe the sound of your power surge, because I have never heard such an event, only witnessed the mass failure of equipment caused by a surge.
Me neither.
I keep a torch in my knicker drawer
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-06-2020, 07:29 PM

Please describe the sound of your power surge, because I have never heard such an event, only witnessed the mass failure of equipment caused by a surge.
From the direction of a sub station, some 300 yards away, the sound is similar to that of a train emerging from a tunnel. a growing whoosh of noise, followed by a bang - and all the lights going out at that point.

Reminds me of the Blitz!

I'll record it, for the forum, next time!

Footnote: There are no trains, above or below, for about a mile.

Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-06-2020, 05:00 AM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
From the direction of a sub station, some 300 yards away, the sound is similar to that of a train emerging from a tunnel. a growing whoosh of noise, followed by a bang - and all the lights going out at that point.

Reminds me of the Blitz!

Probably a circuit breaker in the substation flying out - the whoosh being the air used to extinguish the resultant arc. Sometimes these breakers reconnect again automatically in case the fault has gone only to disconnect again if the fault is still there.

I keep a couple of headlamps near my bed but I also have a 3.7Kw and a 2kw generator which I can start if the outage is likely to be for more than a few minutes.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-06-2020, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Probably a circuit breaker in the substation flying out - the whoosh being the air used to extinguish the resultant arc. Sometimes these breakers reconnect again automatically in case the fault has gone only to disconnect again if the fault is still there.

I keep a couple of headlamps near my bed but I also have a 3.7Kw and a 2kw generator which I can start if the outage is likely to be for more than a few minutes.
Ah! Thanks for that. I did check to see if one of those German Dorniers, from my childhood memories, were flying by, but I didn't see one.

LongDriver
West Sussex (coastal)
LongDriver is male  LongDriver has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-06-2020, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->

Reminds me of the Blitz!

Ah, that could be the Bucholz Relay tripping as the tranny gassed off too much prolly due to overload. That is summat I have heard and witnessed and I would describe it as sounding like a swiftly passing tornado overhead.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-06-2020, 03:42 PM

Ah, that could be the Bucholz Relay tripping as the tranny gassed off too much prolly due to overload. That is summat I have heard and witnessed and I would describe it as sounding like a swiftly passing tornado overhead.
Usuallly short circuit faults such as inter turn faults, incipient winding fault,

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top