Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2009, 12:29 PM

Is writing becoming a lost art?

Do you still write and receive handwritten letters?

I still write occasional letters to relatives and love to receive letters, it's so much more personal than today's method of communicating.

For older children/teenagers, texting, emailing and instant messaging appear to be replacing phone chatting and "hanging about" catching up on things.
The English language is being devolved into bursts of letters - "OMG, LOL, ILY" etcetera ..... not everyone can figure them out!

I would hate to see snail mail die out
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2009, 12:41 PM

Re: Is writing becoming a lost art?

I think it's a threatened species Mags (:

How's your handwriting. Mine has never been beautiful but it was always legible and fairly neat. Now I often struggle with shopping lists - which seem to be the only things I write on a regular basis
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2009, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by dinahsmum ->
I think it's a threatened species Mags (:

How's your handwriting. Mine has never been beautiful but it was always legible and fairly neat. Now I often struggle with shopping lists - which seem to be the only things I write on a regular basis
I've often been told that my handwriting is very neat When we were taught "double" writing at school it was thorough - the 'h' had to be taller than the 't', the loops of the 'f', 'g' 'y' had to be a certain way and it was enjoyable to learn. I don't think proper writing is taught in schools these days, if it is, it's totally different to the way we were taught.

I am writing something every day as I still keep a diary . I always have a notepad by me at home and am always jotting things down. I have another pad here at the computer where I'm always making notes (mainly to ask my son if I have a query with my comp!).

And yes, I have to make out a shopping list too!
buzzie
USA
buzzie is female  buzzie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2009, 01:03 PM

I think a 'thank you' always requires a hand written note and email is a no no in that case.

I have a dear friend who does not have a computer and we write back and forth quite a bit and I love to see a letter from her in my mailbox.

I really do think that the postal system will never recover financially from what email has taken from them.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK

03-11-2009, 01:18 PM

I've received Thank You letters every year from my grandchildren from the first time they were able to write and I've kept every one of them as they are so special.

My granddaughter (9) even leaves me "I love you" messages written in my sudoku and crossword books when I'm not looking!
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2009, 04:05 PM

I haven't hand-written a letter in years, and must admit I much prefer typing. Not only is it faster but I can go over what I've typed and edit things if I don't quite like what I've put.

I think 'love letters' should be hand written tho
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2009, 05:24 PM

I agree Azz, . . If I were to write a hand written letter the waste paper basket would be full by the time I got it right.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK

03-11-2009, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by Azz ->
I haven't hand-written a letter in years, and must admit I much prefer typing. Not only is it faster but I can go over what I've typed and edit things if I don't quite like what I've put!
Originally Posted by nero ->
I agree Azz, . . If I were to write a hand written letter the waste paper basket would be full by the time I got it right.
tut-tut ...... you boys need to have more patience and take your time!
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2009, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
tut-tut ...... you boys need to have more patience and take your time!
But, . . but, . . but, . . Mags, there aint a spell checker on a pen is there.
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2009, 10:07 PM

...or a rewind button

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top