Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
buzzie
USA
buzzie is female  buzzie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2010, 01:59 PM

Re: Books that were made into films

Originally Posted by dinahsmum ->
We seldom visit the cinema but did so for that one. I can still remember leaving the screen moving into the foyer and there was a staff member in his red and white uniform, with an usherettes tray with a box of tissues. He was pulling out tissues with alternate hands and offering them to the snivelling crowd as they passed!
Ah - why didn't she get out of the car that rainy day?
Put her family above herself, I guess
I know
twizzle
somerset
twizzle is female  twizzle has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-01-2010, 11:15 AM

I've never seen that one. I'm the only female in a house full of men so my viewing is a bit action film orientated. I'll get the dvd and watch it with my mum, it sounds good.

I think the Harry Potter books have been made into fantastic films for the children.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-01-2010, 05:48 PM

I generally think they lose a lot of nuance in the film. One that did translate well IMO was the original Mutiny on the Bounty.
suey
Shropshire
suey is female  suey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-01-2010, 10:10 PM

Mine is Memoirs of a Geisha the book and the film were both very good though of course the film didn't go into as much depth as the book but I really enjoyed both....
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-01-2010, 10:55 PM

I loved that book; didn't see the movie. Another oldie that made an excellent movie was Beau Geste.
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-01-2010, 02:17 PM

The Count of Monte Cristo, . . another crackin yarn,
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-01-2010, 02:24 PM

Not a film but a (long) TV series - that's Paul Scott's Jewel in the Crown quadrilogy (is that what you call a 4 book set? Probably just a quartet)
Absolutely fabulous end of empire story, multi-faceted and the series covered all the strands and stories in the books, not just a select few
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-01-2010, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by dinahsmum ->
Not a film but a (long) TV series - that's Paul Scott's Jewel in the Crown quadrilogy (is that what you call a 4 book set? Probably just a quartet)
Absolutely fabulous end of empire story, multi-faceted and the series covered all the strands and stories in the books, not just a select few
I've seen that DM, . . was Peggy Ashcroft in it ?
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-01-2010, 02:34 PM

Yes she was; there were a lot of true stars, Art Malik, Charles Dance, Tim Pigott-Smith, Geraldine James etc
Here's a bit of blurb
nero
Central Scotland

01-02-2010, 04:14 AM

Herman Wouk's . . . "winds of War", . . it was a major series on TV starring Robert Mitchum and Polly Bergen, a host of other stars included Jan Michael Vincent, Ali McGraw, Peter Graves, and a magnificent portrayal of FDR by Ralph Bellamy followed by John Houseman, Topol, and Victoria Tennant.

The series is in two parts on a loads of DVD's, in total it runs for over 20 hours viewing and well worth watching.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top