Join for free
Page 355 of 370 « First < 255 305 345 353 354 355 356 357 365 > Last »
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2021, 09:51 PM

Re: Post your daily exercise routine

I felt the same at 60 and even 70+. Only heavy rain was an off-putter to cycling. I can still do it because the change of attitude to exercise is a recent thing. Hopefully, the nice weather will see it change back again.

I can and have been riding and walking on my own but historically, riding has always been done with other fit older people. This whittled down to just my brother as co-riders fell by the wayside for one reason or another. There would have been 5 or 6 of us riding on Fridays during the good years on some occasions. All off-road riders.

My brother was the last to succumb. We didn't always get on of course but I do miss his company. Others were with us on and off but my brother and I were constant companions. We rode 3 times a week, adding up to a distance of around 50 -60 miles weather permitting.

I think it is hard to foresee that an attitude to exercise will ever change. I'd have said mine wouldn't a few months ago but there we are, it has somewhat.

I know we can be proud of fitness and the degree to which we can still do things. With me though, it's all been a bonus anyway. (Seeking no sympathy) I was expected to die as a child from asthma but didn't. Also in my early 40's from cancer that took a few years to beat. When I took up cycling at the age of 52, I'd ride like hell and thank God I'd been allowed the years to do it ..and I'm not even a staunch believer.

That's why I say that if I never exercised again or didn't make another year (I expect to), I don't think I'd consider that I'd given up easily or too soon.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2021, 10:07 AM

A few photos of us..

Top left: My 8 years older brother and me.
Top right: A Friday ride group (me on the right).
Bottom left: Me looking toward the land I was about to ride.
Bottom right: Bruv nearing the top of a hill.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2021, 11:17 AM

Good photos mart. Where have those days gone, we thought they would last forever and now they are behind us, but the memories linger on....I think that I can still do some of the things that I used to do.... The mind is willing, but the flesh is weak!...
mart
Chatterbox
South of England

04-01-2021, 12:04 PM

I used to have a website with photos and info about the rides. Here is the banner from it..

It would have to be called the 'WELL OVER THE HILL OFF-ROAD CYCLING CLUB' now. . The rider (R.I.P.) second from the left in top-right photo was quite well-known to motorcycle speedway fans in his day.

http://www.cradleyspeedway.co.uk/riders/jedwards.htm
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2021, 07:01 PM

These are terrific photos, Mart! Thanks for sharing those, and am impressed that you maintained a website. What thoroughly enjoyable outings those must have been! Now THAT is an exercise group that I am sure would have been even more fun than going solo.

"WELL" - hahaha! Excellent .
mart
Chatterbox
South of England

04-01-2021, 09:35 PM

Thanks Surfermom and OGF. It wasn't possible to ride up that hill that I'm overlooking. Too stony for tyres to grip apart from it being steep. We were once at the top of it as a group though and I reckoned I could ride down it if not up.

I set off slowly and cautiously with my old work friend not far behind me. All was well until I hit a patch of loose stones and over I went. He hit the same patch and we both tumbled, a mass of arms, legs and bikes. No injuries so it made us laugh.

The others at the top of the hill laughed even louder. Having seen our fate, they didn't try riding down after us but more sensibly got off and walked their bikes down. Thinking about it still makes me smile.

Edit: typo
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2021, 04:53 PM

Yikes, Mart! Our bodies are sure a lot more forgiving when we are younger!

I loathe that feeling as I become older of timidity because I feel so much more vulnerable than I used to - but I obey that voice, nonetheless.

It is warming up so I am off for a sunny trail run later - hopefully no loose gravel in sight! There is something about the added victory of exercising in January and February. Think that will earn me an extra cookie?

No, I suppose not .
mart
Chatterbox
South of England

05-01-2021, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
Yikes, Mart! Our bodies are sure a lot more forgiving when we are younger!

I loathe that feeling as I become older of timidity because I feel so much more vulnerable than I used to - but I obey that voice, nonetheless.

It is warming up so I am off for a sunny trail run later - hopefully no loose gravel in sight! There is something about the added victory of exercising in January and February. Think that will earn me an extra cookie?

No, I suppose not .
If the weather is anything like here at the moment, you certainly should get an extra cookie.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England

06-01-2021, 05:35 PM

I rode 5 miles on the e-bike today. Medical and exercise reasons if I was asked to justify being out. I went to the doctors to pick up a prescription.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States

07-01-2021, 03:37 PM

Nice, Mart! How did it feel being out there?

I trudged my way through a slow four-miler, but it was great to be able to knock out some distance and test out my new, well-needed, running shoes.

Just 950 more miles before 2022!

Page 355 of 370 « First < 255 305 345 353 354 355 356 357 365 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top