Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-11-2019, 02:05 PM

Re: His Dark Materials

Originally Posted by Rehab44 ->
I found it very confusing, maybe if I had read the books or seen the Golden Compass film that might not have been the case. I will give it another watch next week.

I feel the same, Rehab. I have never seen the film or books, so I couldn't make head nor tail of it, and switched off.
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-11-2019, 02:12 PM

I did watch it with Dementia my beloved ...she was has confused as me...so we decided to have some rough sex on the shag pile carpet instead...another bloody fantasy..
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-11-2019, 02:17 PM

I found it very confusing, maybe if I had read the books or seen the Golden Compass film that might not have been the case. I will give it another watch next week.
I think you are right Rehab, reading the book probably would have helped although I went to see the Golden compass and didn't understand that either.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-11-2019, 02:19 PM

I did watch it with Dementia my beloved ...she was has confused as me...so we decided to have some rough sex on the shag pile carpet instead...another bloody fantasy..
Well at least there was good ending..... I hope
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-11-2019, 02:33 PM

Hope you didn't switch off after 5 mins.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-11-2019, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I think you are right Rehab, reading the book probably would have helped although I went to see the Golden compass and didn't understand that either.
Its Sci-Fi/Fantasy, if you aren't into that, then no, you won't like it. Phillip Pullman is an aquired taste I think. I did find the books confusing & read them twice before I saw the film so had an idea of the story. Which was only the first book. The later books are even more confusing.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

04-11-2019, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
Its Sci-Fi/Fantasy, if you aren't into that, then no, you won't like it. Phillip Pullman is an aquired taste I think. I did find the books confusing & read them twice before I saw the film so had an idea of the story. Which was only the first book. The later books are even more confusing.

I think you're right, Tiff.
Not having seen or heard of it before I didn't realise it was Sci-Fi, and I've never been in to that.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

04-11-2019, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Hope you didn't switch off after 5 mins.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-11-2019, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I think you're right, Tiff.
Not having seen or heard of it before I didn't realise it was Sci-Fi, and I've never been in to that.
The main plot, if you can call it that is about parallel worlds, Lyra's uncle travels to find them, but she is the one going to travel & find them eventually. The Daemons are the companion souls of every person on Lyra's world. The plots are very complicated.

This might help....

https://www.sparknotes.com/lit/hisda...rials/summary/
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

04-11-2019, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
I love Sci-Fi, not so much fantasy (although I do like Lord of the Rings). I find that the film genres are crossing over too much these days.

I am open minded to these stories but generally find that by the end the episode, I really couldn't care less what happened. Game of Thrones was the same for me. I watched two whole series and was none the wiser. Maybe I am just too old for this stuff?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top