Join for free
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2014, 10:37 AM

PMs and Members only section criteria

Further to our recent poll I thought it would be best to post an announcement rather than just simply update the thread - just so everyone knows where we are

Firstly if you'd like to read the update I posted in the poll you can do so here, but in short, this is what I think is the best way forward...

We'll reduce the number of posts required, from 50 to 25, but keep it as having to have been registered for 3 months (people can still use profile visitor messages from the get go)

Summary

So the best way to look at it, is if a member has 25 posts under their belt then they can probably see the Members-only section

I hope this is fair and acceptable to everyone, and thank you all for your feedback
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2015, 07:01 PM

Re: PMs and Members only section criteria

Originally Posted by mariana ->
I know abut the problem with scammers---all I am trying to say is that I personally think that 3 months is too long. One month is more than long enough to find out if a person is genuine or not..
Hi Mariana,

It's not just to see whether someone is genuine or not, it's also about putting in place a measure that creates a significant inconvenience in case someone thinks "So what if I get banned - I will just create a new account and carry on".

Waiting a month or two would be trivial. A 6 month wait was what we had originally set it to, but after a member vote we brought it down to 3 months.

Having said that, we appreciate that offering an expedited route for those who know others here could go someway to help them settle in, so I think we can offer an updated route with the following criteria

Expedited Route Criteria

Someone who has already met the basic criteria for PMs can vouch for a new member if a) the new member has been here at least 1 month and b) they have made at least 200 posts (obviously posts must not be 'spammy' but those that add something interesting or of value to the topic).

I think this is a reasonable compromise as it is not so easy to circumvent while also demonstrating that the person who wants PM access genuinely wants to be a part of the Over 50s forum community

How to request expedited access

Anyone wants to vouch for a new member can simply PM me the username of who they want to vouch for so long as they meet the above criteria.

I am closing this thread now as I don't want anyone to fall out over it. Thank you all for your understanding and I hope it's clear that we are simply trying to protect our members and the site while also trying to be as accommodating and welcoming of our new members as we can.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top