Join for free
Page 23 of 33 « First < 13 21 22 23 24 25 > Last »
MargaretF
Northamptonshire, UK
MargaretF is female  MargaretF has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2021, 10:45 AM

Re: Seen A Scam? Warn us if you have!

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I've had that one too, Margaret, and like you, I don't even pay direct debit for it. I am sick to death of these horrible people.

I had two scam phone calls yesterday as well. When I looked up the dialling code of the first one, it said it was from North Korea!!
I am sick of them too Mups - I've had several phone calls this week from foreign sounding men saying they are from BT, each one on a different number. Then there are those saying they're from Amazon ... I wonder how many folks fall for them? Some must or else they wouldn't keep the scam going.
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2021, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by MargaretF ->
I am sick of them too Mups - I've had several phone calls this week from foreign sounding men saying they are from BT, each one on a different number. Then there are those saying they're from Amazon ... I wonder how many folks fall for them? Some must or else they wouldn't keep the scam going.
I got a letter from BT saying that someone had applied to take over my line (as if I was moving house) I phoned them and got it sorted immediately. No hassle. Next day I got a phonecall from BT saying the exact same thing (Asian accent). I explained that it was a mistake and had been sorted. He replied no it hadn't and it would go ahead, unless I took out a new contract, and can-I-have-your-bank-details. I have never slammed the phone down so hard! Also...still online, so....there ya go. Weird.
MargaretF
Northamptonshire, UK
MargaretF is female  MargaretF has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2021, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by Pixie Knuckles ->
I got a letter from BT saying that someone had applied to take over my line (as if I was moving house) I phoned them and got it sorted immediately. No hassle. Next day I got a phonecall from BT saying the exact same thing (Asian accent). I explained that it was a mistake and had been sorted. He replied no it hadn't and it would go ahead, unless I took out a new contract, and can-I-have-your-bank-details. I have never slammed the phone down so hard! Also...still online, so....there ya go. Weird.
They are devious blighters aren't they? If they say to me that I am going to be cut off within 48 hours I simply tell them to go-ahead and then put down the phone - I've done that several times but am still online. As you say Pixie Knuckles very weird!
Emjay
Chatterbox
London UK
Emjay is male  Emjay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2021, 11:33 AM

Latest one I had yesterday was a recording saying that my National insurance number has been used etc, and press 1. Being bored I did. Foreign guy claiming to be a young William (old bill to you).
Wanted my name, so I used yours. Then I said “do you want my card details next” yes he said. So I told him to go forth and multiply.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2021, 12:48 PM

I have to say that I'm pleased and relieved to hear that so many people, at least the ones on OFF, know better than to fall for these scams.

Hopefully, as they become more and more commonplace, more and more people will become wise to them.

Sadly, there must still be many, probably the oldest of us, who are unaware and are still easy targets. Perhaps a series of government TV adverts explaining in the simplest terms what to watch out for might be of some help.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2021, 01:08 PM

Best to have one of the phones that show the number ringing, then if you don't recognise the number, don't pick up, just leave it on answerphone.
The scammers rarely talk if it's just an answerphone.
You can then look up the number and block it.
I know they change their numbers, but I just keep blocking the new numbers.

If they are not on the phone, they are at the door, or else trying their luck on our internet.
What a low life they are.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2021, 02:20 PM

Best to have one of the phones that show the number ringing, then if you don't recognise the number, don't pick up, just leave it on answerphone.
The scammers rarely talk if it's just an answerphone.
You can then look up the number and block it.
I know they change their numbers, but I just keep blocking the new numbers.

If they are not on the phone, they are at the door, or else trying their luck on our internet.
What a low life they are.
Exactly what I do.
I don't bother to block their numbers, though, for the reason you give.

As for t'internet, I have an ad blocker and junk mail goes straight to my Spam folder.

Our council has provided us with a special blue bin for junk mail.
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2021, 04:24 PM

What annoys me is that even though I'm on the telephone preference scheme, and ex-directory, nothing seems to bloomin' work.....they still get through!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2021, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by Pixie Knuckles ->
What annoys me is that even though I'm on the telephone preference scheme, and ex-directory, nothing seems to bloomin' work.....they still get through!

Me too, and as you say, it's not much help.

I phoned the TPS a long while ago, and asked them why nuisance calls were still getting through, and they said at the time, that unfortunately they can't stop calls from abroad.

I reckon the scammers are outwitting the TPS from this country too!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

06-05-2021, 04:47 PM

Me too, and as you say, it's not much help.

I phoned the TPS a long while ago, and asked them why nuisance calls were still getting through, and they said at the time, that unfortunately they can't stop calls from abroad.

I reckon the scammers are outwitting the TPS from this country too!
Me too. The TPS is a waste of time.

The only answer is an answer-phone.

Page 23 of 33 « First < 13 21 22 23 24 25 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top