Join for free
Page 7 of 7 « First < 5 6 7
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2021, 12:10 AM

Re: How Do You Like Your Sandwiches Cut? Square Or Triangle?

Originally Posted by Minx ->
I agree with whatever bakerman says because he’s a real Chef

I hope you’re feeling better Bakerman
Ah! but ask yourself two questions

1) Was the Earl of Sandwich from the USA?

2) Would you accept culinary definitions from someone who calls a biscuit a "cookie"?

Finally it is wise to consider, "What would Mrs Beeton do?"

Mrs Beeton's Toast Sandwich

Toast a thin slice of bread.

Butter two slices of bread and sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.

Place the slice of toast between the 2 slices of bread-and-butter to form a sandwich.

My work here is done...
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2021, 01:47 AM

Re: How Do You Like Your Sandwiches Cut? Square Or Triangle?

Yes, legend has it that the Earl of Sandwich came up with the idea of putting meat between two pieces of bread. maybe true. No way to know for sure. But, kind of hard to believe that no one in the entire history of bread making never, ever made/eaten meat on bread. In any event, 260 plus years have passed, and people, the world over, greatly expanded on the idea.
Finally, their are numerous countries that rarely make sliced bread. They make large and small rolls. It is then a simple matter of slicing those rolls and filling them with various ingredients.
Back in the days before slicing machines were invented, men needed portable food to take to work at a factory. Men in New Orleans , on their way to work, stopped off at the local bakery and asked them to make sandwiches. The idea of Po' Boys was born. A Po' Boy is a sandwich, made with a sliced roll and filled with meat and salad. Their are dozens of different fillings for Po' Boys. Hot ones are usually meant to be eaten immediately, while cold one are often carried to work.

Bruce, if you can show me that the Earl of Sandwich claimed that a sandwich is ONLY made with sliced bread and NEVER, EVER made with a roll, then you contention might have some merit. In the meantime, the vast majority of the world will continue to call any two pieces of bread and filled, and picked up with the hands and eaten, is indeed a sandwich.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	R.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	16423  

Page 7 of 7 « First < 5 6 7

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top