Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
brendanxx
New Member!
Hastings UK
brendanxx is male 

18-12-2018, 06:20 PM

Wife of EU citizen after Brexit

Hi,
If I am an Irish citizen and my wife of 20 years is a UK citizen can she travel freely with me to EU countries (mainly France) after a no deal Brexit or will she have to pay a separate visa fee etc.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-12-2018, 06:57 PM

Re: Wife of EU citizen after Brexit

Hi

As things stand at the moment, the answer is no.

UK citizens will have to pay a small fee when the new EU Entry System is introduced, but will still not require a Visa.

EU Citizens can currently travel here with just an ID Card.

They will need a full passport.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-12-2018, 07:24 PM

I was wondering about that too, would we need visas to holiday in EU countries?
If I booked one in say Spain now would I be able to travel next autumn without visas or extra charges?
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-12-2018, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by brendanxx ->
Hi,
If I am an Irish citizen and my wife of 20 years is a UK citizen can she travel freely with me to EU countries (mainly France) after a no deal Brexit or will she have to pay a separate visa fee etc.
Than the same rules apply as if your wife had come from afghanistan or any other exotic country.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-12-2018, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
I was wondering about that too, would we need visas to holiday in EU countries?
If I booked one in say Spain now would I be able to travel next autumn without visas or extra charges?
You buy a "visum" that allows you to enter any EU country as often as you like. Price £6.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands

18-12-2018, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

UK citizens will have to pay a small fee when the new EU Entry System is introduced, but will still not require a Visa.

Pending May's deal. In no deal brexit the UK changes in a third party country.
itsme
Wigan UK
itsme is male  itsme has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-12-2018, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by Solasch ->
You buy a "visum" that allows you to enter any EU country as often as you like. Price £6.
And another passport at £90 'each' and if you are driving another £60 for new registration plates if you have the EU flag featured on the existing ones.

Nothing confirmed but the 'visum' will last for 3years same as the US 'esta' system.

£150 thanks a million brexiters.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands

18-12-2018, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by itsme ->
And another passport at £90 'each' and if you are driving another £60 for new registration plates if you have the EU flag featured on the existing ones.

Nothing confirmed but the 'visum' will last for 3years same as the US 'esta' system.

£150 thanks a million brexiters.
Well, a vacation is expensive. But since in the EU everything is so much cheaper than the UK, part of those £150 will come back in reductions of other costs.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-12-2018, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by Solasch ->
Than the same rules apply as if your wife had come from afghanistan or any other exotic country.
Hi

Not so, the EU has already determined, even in the event of a No Deal, UK Citizens will not require a Visa.

You only need one if you are a visitor from one of these Countries.

https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/who...schengen-visa/

If you intend to live or work in an EU Country, you will require a visa for that Country.

The EU have made it perfectly clear that any restrictions we put on EU Citizens coming to live or work here in the UK they will impose those same conditions on UK Citizens moving to the EU.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-12-2018, 08:31 PM

I'm British and my wife of 30 years is a Portuguese citizen. We are trying not to think too hard about Brexit and shit creek scenarios.

After the referendum result 2.5 years ago she's been trying for British citizenship but all HO staff are still out-to-lunch.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top