Join for free
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Alicat
West Berkshire
Alicat is female  Alicat has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2009, 04:19 PM

Re: Is DIY a good thing?

Originally Posted by nero ->
Give priority to the problems associated with safety like electrics and gas, plumbing can be fixed later, . . a burst or leaking pipe won't kill you but power and gas can.

I would'nt get paranoid over these potential problems but they'll have to be addressed.

PS : Locate your stop-cock so if you do get a burst or leaking pipe you can turn the water off.
Good advice there Nero, thanks
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2009, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by dandysmom ->
[/B]

Unless it's frozen from non-use! My house was built in 1938; first time I had a plumbing problem (sometime in the late 60s) they couldn't get the indoor water cut-off to function so had to shut off the water from outside.
If your pipes or stop-cock are frozen place a rag soaked in boiling water on them, . . or just pour boiling water on them.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2009, 10:45 PM

Oh sorry, I didn't mean frozen as in cold, I meant inoperable as not having been used in 50+ years; perhaps locked would have been a better choice of words.
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2009, 01:34 AM

Originally Posted by dandysmom ->
Oh sorry, I didn't mean frozen as in cold, I meant inoperable as not having been used in 50+ years; perhaps locked would have been a better choice of words.
Good point there DM, . . I shall revise my post and say, . . once a year locate your stop-cock and turn it off, then turn it back on immediately to avoid any lack of water in either your heating system or boilers.
Alicat
West Berkshire
Alicat is female  Alicat has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2009, 09:39 AM

I know where the stop cock is, I don't know what sort of blocked drain we have as everything seems to flush away and working okay except for the drain outside the kitchen which serves the kitchen and utility room. I'm having to take my washing up my Mum's until it's fixed, but everything else is fine so far. Once I find my camera I'll take a photo of it. Thanks for all your advice.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2009, 12:44 PM

Hope you can get it all sorted, not what you expect to have to do when you move house though, is it?
Alicat
West Berkshire

14-11-2009, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
Hope you can get it all sorted, not what you expect to have to do when you move house though, is it?
I was aware of the situation Mags and I did advise hubby before we bought the place but he still wanted it, luckily I think weve got the extra money to put most of it right, fingers crossed. My hubby can be very silly sometimes over things, he's too easy going. I'll be choosing the next place if we move again in the near future, I've got more sense than him.
Alicat
West Berkshire

17-11-2009, 02:54 PM

An update to our ongoing saga. We had the electric chappie from the SEB out this morning and he checked all our electrics and I'm happy to report there's nothing dangerous at all, just odd bits and pieces that need tidying up but they will be in his report we should receive in a couple of weeks. There is stuff to be done but nothing serious.

I feel much better knowing that everything is safe and there's no danger. It's worth paying out to have an inspection of the electrics done, you're supposed to have one done every 10 years or if you move you're supposed to have one done due to the new European laws.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-11-2009, 03:05 PM

That's good news!
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-11-2009, 03:06 PM

I'm pleased to hear that - bet you are too. It might have been an expensive and disruptive exercise if it had needed a lot of work

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top