Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2016, 05:44 PM

Cider with Rosie

I thought that everyone had read this book but appears not .
Has anyone here read it and what do you think ?
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2016, 06:14 PM

Re: Cider with Rosie

Yes I read it years ago and I have also picnics in the fields at Slad where the book is set (we nearly bought a house near there) fond memories of that time when I first met my husband .

I enjoyed the book and Laurie Lee's gentle account of a simple country way of life largely lost us now.

I also enjoyed Winifred Foley's 'A Child of the Forest' set on the other side of the Severn an area I also know well
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2016, 06:16 PM

Times were different then m`dear. A classic.
Azure
Chatterbox
South Glos
Azure is female  Azure has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2016, 08:56 PM

Laurie Lee’s ‘Cider with Rosie’ is a lovely Book of an age gone by when Villages where heaven in and hardly any vehicles in the street.

I have been to Slad and Stroud. Laurie ‘s daughter now runs things and shows people round and gives lectures about his Books.

In Passing
There is a beautiful Mansion at the front of Slad overlooking the Valley. It used to belong to Rudolf Steiner as a School for his teaching method for children. This method is now taught at many Schools in the UK He was also a devote of Goethe, German Poet , Playwright, Scientist, Statesman , Artist and Philosopher. It looks like something out of a Bronte Story. It is now run as an Education Centre for Adults I was there on an Art Course and half expected D’Arcey to come riding over the hills any minute on his Horse!.

From page one I was fascinated by the families move to another Run -down House. The Family had very little money and seem to live on bread. When settled in after much scrubbing, their hard working, creative Mother grew vegetables in the garden. I think it was 14 loaves a week they had delivered. Foraging in the hedgerows for blackberries, they had a wonderful time outside in the beautiful countryside of the Cotswold The children all did well at the Village School too.

The Book is full of unusual characters and situations and hilarious times as well.

And which boy would not like to be under the ‘Hay Cart with Rosie’, drinking Cider from a flagon?

It was also broadcast as a Story on Radio and you can buy the CD DVD. It is also a film as well
Azure
Chatterbox
South Glos
Azure is female  Azure has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2016, 09:01 PM

Laurie Lee outside his cottage in Slad Stroud. Gloucester.
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2016, 09:10 PM

It was standard reading when I was at college, but I can´t honestly say I enjoyed it, I certainly never wanted to read it twice.
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2016, 09:47 PM

Ive not read it .....I really need to read the first couple of pages of any book to tell wether I can get along with it,if not then I may as well not bother cos the rest of the book would be too much like a slog.
No fun in reading a book if I cant get along with it.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2016, 10:20 PM

I went to Slad some years ago - and Laurie Lee had just died!
I missed him by about a week.
With the money he made form Cider with Rosie he bought a cottage in Slad where he lived for the rest of his life.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2016, 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
I thought that everyone had read this book but appears not .
Has anyone here read it and what do you think ?
I first read it many years ago but still have a copy on my shelves I have his books on my ereader too in "Red Sky at Sunrise". Sort of an omnibus edition which has "Cider with Rosie", "As I Walked Out One Midsummer Morning" and "A Moment of War". I read it fairly regularly.

Captures a time long gone as you read you can see it in your head. Because he is a poet I guess it makes his writing so evocative. One of my favourite books.
Pumicestone
Australia
Pumicestone is male  Pumicestone has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2016, 05:25 AM

Never heard of him or the book.
All very 'English' by the sound of it.

Actually, I haven't read a book of fiction for years - except perhaps the Bible.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top