Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
Boozercruiser
Chatterbox
Wales
Boozercruiser is male  Boozercruiser has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-10-2017, 06:50 PM

Black Friday 27th November 2017. Don't Spend 'Till Then?

And perhaps if you are looking to buy any big ticket stuff, particularly IPads/IPhone's/Computers/TVs or whatever then waiting for then just might pay off.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/money/when-b...deals-11163867

Over the past few years Black Friday has become a household shopping event in the UK, consistently out-performing Boxing Day in the spending stakes, as retailers clamour to cash in ahead of Christmas with deals all over the shop.

The event has traditionally seen shoppers snap up cut-price goods from games consoles to electricals over the 24-hour bonanza, but now, we're seeing equally as impressive discounts across fashion, beauty and even travel.

In 2014, when it all kicked off, the event was especially record breaking on the high street (with scenes of actual chaos, everywhere), however in the past two years, it's been quite the opposite, with all deals online - and yes, websites have been known to crash straight after midnight.

Some even have queues, just to get in online.

In short, finding the best deals for Black Friday 2017 might mean pulling all-nighter on November 23. Below we've got some handy tips on how to prepare for it - including how to tell if a deal is actually a 'deal', your consumer rights, shopping tips and who's taking part.

You'll find most retailers will be keeping tight lipped about what's to come, it's become almost a tradition, however as we find out - you'll be the first to know.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-10-2017, 07:38 PM

Re: Black Friday 27th November 2017. Don't Spend 'Till Then?

Personally I think it's an unhealthy obsession for some people, very undignified too.
Boozercruiser
Chatterbox
Wales
Boozercruiser is male  Boozercruiser has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-10-2017, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Personally I think it's an unhealthy obsession for some people, very undignified too.
What!
To try and save perhaps a lot of money Julie?
If that is an obsession and undignified, I will take all I can thank you very much!
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-10-2017, 08:32 PM

Going by the last few years, it's a chance for retailers to sell old stock at the real going price, but having upped the price for 4 weeks previously they can get away with it

Nope, I'll not be swayed. For large purchases I research thoroughly and am not taken in by such gimmicks
Boozercruiser
Chatterbox
Wales

22-10-2017, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by Missy ->
Going by the last few years, it's a chance for retailers to sell old stock at the real going price, but having upped the price for 4 weeks previously they can get away with it

Nope, I'll not be swayed. For large purchases I research thoroughly and am not taken in by such gimmicks
If you take my advice you will please yourself what you do Missy.
I am not taken in either, but I will know a bargain if and when I see one.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-10-2017, 11:25 PM

How can Black Friday be on a Monday, BC?
Boozercruiser
Chatterbox
Wales

23-10-2017, 12:18 AM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
How can Black Friday be on a Monday, BC?
I aim to please you Mags.
Here is the best I can do!
So I reckon that although the thing started on a Friday and the day was kept, even though of course the 27th will be on different days every year.

https://www.history.com/news/whats-t...f-black-friday

It makes sense that the term “Black Friday” might refer to the single day of the year when retail companies finally go “into the black” (i.e. make a profit). The day after Thanksgiving is, of course, when crowds of turkey-stuffed shoppers descend on stores all over the country to take advantage of the season’s biggest holiday bargains. But the real story behind Black Friday is a bit more complicated—and darker—than that.

The first recorded use of the term “Black Friday” was applied not to holiday shopping but to financial crisis: specifically, the crash of the U.S. gold market on September 24, 1869. Two notoriously ruthless Wall Street financiers, Jay Gould and Jim Fisk, worked together to buy up as much as they could of the nation’s gold, hoping to drive the price sky-high and sell it for astonishing profits. On that Friday in September, the conspiracy finally unraveled, sending the stock market into free-fall and bankrupting everyone from Wall Street barons to farmers.

The most commonly repeated story behind the post-Thanksgiving shopping-related Black Friday tradition links it to retailers. As the story goes, after an entire year of operating at a loss (“in the red”) stores would supposedly earn a profit (“went into the black”) on the day after Thanksgiving, because holiday shoppers blew so much money on discounted merchandise. Though it’s true that retail companies used to record losses in red and profits in black when doing their accounting, this version of Black Friday’s origin is the officially sanctioned—but inaccurate—story behind the tradition.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2017, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I tend to agree with you Julie, I recall nasty brawls and injuries at some shops a few years ago. Most of these wonderful sales are designed to make people buy things because they think they are getting a bargain, but no company sells things cheaper than the going rate unless they can see a way of making more money or getting rid of stock that has now become less popular.
Once people try to get the large items, and fail, they regret their failure ..... but that disappointment means they will still yearn for the new item so be prepared to pay the higher price for one, sometimes by getting themselves into debt to obtain it.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2017, 08:36 AM

'Black Friday ' passes me by unnoticed .
I only buy an item when it is really needed to replace something which can't be mended.
I hate having anything new.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2017, 08:48 AM

Just another marketing ploy which aims to generate an inane hysteria in those that can least afford it into a buying frenzy on the false premise of saving money, but how can it be saving money when you didn't need the bloody thing in the first place? ...

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top