Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2018, 04:43 PM

What's this that popped up?

This has appeared in my garden and I can't identify it, please help!
It's pretty but is it a weed?

Not the Verbena the pink one.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2018, 04:48 PM

Re: What's this that popped up?

Hmmm, you got me there Tess . .

TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2018, 04:59 PM

Nearest I can find is Joe Pye Weed but leaves are not quite the same...
TessA
Official Poinker
UK

18-09-2018, 05:07 PM

Hemp-Agrimony! Not related to Cannabis phew!
I did wonder because of leaf shape!
TessA
Official Poinker
UK

18-09-2018, 05:09 PM

Only the lower leaves have the typical 3- or 5-lobed hemp-type leaves, which are in opposite pairs ; the upper leaves are just single oval in opposite pairs. All leaves are oval, pointed and toothed and similar to those of Hemp (Cannabis sativa), hence the name.

No relation to : Agrimony [a plant with similar name]. Nor is it, despite the name, related to Hemp nor to Cannabis, which refers more to the shape and pattern of the leaves than to any psychotropic substances. Nor to Bifid Hemp-Nettle, Common Hemp-Nettle, Large-Flowered Hemp-Nettle or Red Hemp-Nettle since Hemp-nettles belong to the Mint and Dead-nettle Family.

Grows beside freshwater such as streams, canals, fens and in damp woods. Sometimes in drier places.

Uniquely identifiable characteristics

Distinguishing Feature : The leaves in opposite pairs of three with the umbel of pinkish-red flowers atop.

Hemp-agrimony is a hemicryptophyte, meaning the flower buds start off on or near the soil surface like they do in Dandelion. Like Dandelion, the seeds are borne by the wind on a pappus, or parachute.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK

18-09-2018, 05:13 PM

Butterflies like it so I'll leave it where t'is!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2018, 10:08 PM

Tess, just looked Agrimony and found this:

https://www.plantlife.org.uk/uk/disc...ecies/agrimony

Common Agrimony seems to be a yellow flower, but as you say Hemp Agrimony looks like yours.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2018, 06:34 AM

Not sure,maybe the wind blew the seeds into your garden,even a bird,dropping their seeds,..it doesn't look like a weed,it's very pretty.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK

19-09-2018, 08:04 AM

Yes, Pauline, I think it probably was bird seed, I can't see it in anyone else's garden.
It's going over now, fluffy, it was even prettier in full flower.
I wonder if it will spread, after all a weed is only a plant in the wrong place
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2018, 09:28 AM

Agree that it looks like Hemp-agrimony .

https://www.wildflower.co.uk/wildflo...er-plants.html

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top