Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2018, 01:15 PM

Re: The end of the free TV licence?

It’s my guess that all TV companies are in financial trouble because less people are watching TV these days, ITV has to resort to stupid phone in competitions at night to try to keep afloat, plus longer more frequent ads and repeats. The cost of airing ads now has become a lot cheaper on account of the completion, hence more of them.
With the exception of big sporting events, addictive soaps, and news, very few would be watching TV, choice of what we want to see, and when we want to see it on our screens is so varied now that viewers of the ‘traditional’ stations are falling off rapidly. Folks still love films and now they can select them on the internet and watch them ad free. My two grandsons (20 and 18) never watch TV at all, they spend all their leisure time on computers and phones.
If people agree to pay half the fee now it will eventually go up to three quarters and finally the full whack, too many juicy jobs at stake in the BBC, let them take on ads, they already have them on their internet news, our national TV station has both ads and the licence money, that’s what you call jam on both sides of your bread, lets face it ads are here to stay, best get used to them on national TV.
We automatically receive a free licence at 66 years of age, 75 is ridiculous and it is an insult to make old folks wait so long, then to try and make them pay is beyond insult, in my opinion that is.
Maddy
somewwhere.....
Maddy is female  Maddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2018, 02:11 PM

keep the combination as it is --free to all 75 /over / BBC is out to make a profit - cant see them cutting down to a minimum !!!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2018, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
The licence fee should be scrapped altogether. If people wish to watch the dross pumped out by the BBC on a regular basis they should make it subscription only then those who choose to watch their shite can pay for the privilege without making the rest of us pay for them.
That's what I think Judd. I think it is wrong that we have to pay the BBC even if we don't wish to watch their programmes. Of course there is the problem with the radio but the BBC channels are going the same way.

Radio1 - Dross
Radio2 - Ok in small doses
Radio3 - Not bad but not as good as ClassicFM
Radio4 - Left wing comedy
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2018, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I think means testing it would be best idea it's a crazy country where we give everyone a benefit even if they don't need it.
I think it would cost too much to means test it Julie and I am against means testing TV anyway.
DickieMint
New Member!
Solihull, UK
DickieMint is male 

29-11-2018, 07:38 PM

It's wonderful to read all the comments on here!

£ for £ the BBC is a much better bargain than the Commercial companies. Take the comment 'why should I pay for the BBC when I don't watch it?' Really? Never? I could say why should I pay for the commercial companies when I don't watch them? Because I can just NOT avoid buying goods advertised! And even if I avoid buying the brands advertised, I'm paying when I shop in Sainsburys or Morrisons or John Lewis. As an example the JL Christmas Ad cost £7M. That comes from its shoppers!

And itv, for example, not only get very nice profits thank you, but pay their executives far more than the BBC. That's us paying them. And what does top stars going to commercial TV tell you about how much they get there?!

There is a way to not only allow the government to back out of paying for the benefit they introduced but avoid crippling the BBC with the one third of their income that free 0ver 75s TV Licences cost.

One third of those getting Winter Fuel Allowances are eligible for the Pension Credit benefit. Which is means tested. Thus, if the WFA was means tested, two thirds of the £2B cost, £1.33B would more than meet the £700M cost of the Free Licence!
Moscow
Scotland
Moscow is male  Moscow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2018, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
That's what I think Judd. I think it is wrong that we have to pay the BBC even if we don't wish to watch their programmes. Of course there is the problem with the radio but the BBC channels are going the same way.

Radio1 - Dross
Radio2 - Ok in small doses
Radio3 - Not bad but not as good as ClassicFM
Radio4 - Left wing comedy

Pretty much agree with that. Radio 2 could be counted as dross if it weren't for Ken Bruce.

Radio 6 Music is pretty good at times. I like the Huey Show

5Live is ok if you like sport.

The truth is there is 'Too Much BBC'!

And the fact it feels it has to insinuate itself in to every aspect of British Life is just wrong.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2018, 10:43 PM

I still find it difficult to believe that you still have a TV Licence at all. There can't be many countries that tax its citizens directly for watching TV.
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-11-2018, 12:33 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
I still find it difficult to believe that you still have a TV Licence at all. There can't be many countries that tax its citizens directly for watching TV.
I know you are right on this.
They used to have TV detection vans checking. I have not seen one for years.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-11-2018, 02:39 AM

Originally Posted by Sweetie pie ->
I know you are right on this.
They used to have TV detection vans checking. I have not seen one for years.
Actually I was seconded to TV detection in London many decades ago. It was a lot of fun.
John
Eastleigh Hampshire
John is male  John has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-11-2018, 10:11 AM

As someone who will qualify for this freebie next year, I'm obviously in favour of it. However, I would be prepared to pay half, as there are some excellent programmes on there, in among a load of dross. As for that John Lewis ad, it makes you want to throw the telly out the window, free licence or not

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top