Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2018, 12:05 AM

Re: Charging Family for Christmas Dinner

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I am sure this topic came up last year

The question wouldn't arise with me I don't eat 'christmas dinner' shudders

You're right Meg, I remember it too.

There was some woman on telly who charges her family to come and eat, and it started a debate on it here.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2018, 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
You're right Meg, I remember it too.

There was some woman on telly who charges her family to come and eat, and it started a debate on it here.
I remember it too. I buy the meat & some nibbles, the others get the veg & afters.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2018, 01:35 AM

Last year was the first time we didn't eat at home.
I booked Christmas dinner at a pub and paid for all of us.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2018, 02:14 AM

We used to have all the family around at Christmas, immediate family for the main meal (average of fifteen), then the in-laws for a buffet making the number up to twenty eight. Cost us a bloody fortune but hey, it's only once a year.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2018, 09:10 AM

The biggest fools are those who pay her!

I love to cook - so it is not a problem for me however many turn up - but I would certainly not insult my friends by asking them to pay.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2018, 10:41 AM

Having had some really financially difficult times in the past we have asked people to bring an item of the meal. Everyone seemed to find that quite fun. We haven't often done turkey as no one here likes it so again if anyone wants turkey they provide that themselves. We have repeat visitors so no one has been offended about it.

I wouldn't ask for money though that's just tacky.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2018, 10:57 AM

Surely if you haven't the money to offer a meal to a large amount of people - then don't do it.
Seems simple enough to me.
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2018, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by carol ->
Cooking for a load of people is my worse nightmare.
I'd pay them to stay away!!
got to love this!

If you can't afford to host it then for goodness sakes don't do it!!!
(i don't mean you carol!!)

Edit: snap mups!
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2018, 11:02 AM

Sometimes it's who has the biggest place can host the family, sometimes you find yourself volunteered and it's hard to then say no, and on some occasions we've been neutral ground so everyone will visit us but won't go to each others homes.

We used to live in the village hall it was great in one of the bigger meeting rooms to host the meal, no one else in the family had that big space. Never had to worry about not enough chairs either as we had hundreds of the things
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2018, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
I wouldn't dream of charging my family for Christmas dinner!
Me neither! even though HWMO and I do not eat Turkey, (we prefer fillet steak for our special meal) but if I did, and I turned to any of my gorillas and said I was charging for dinner, they would be calling the men in white!!!!

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top