Join for free
Page 8 of 8 « First < 6 7 8
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2018, 04:49 PM

Re: Still working or retired?

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Supposedly permanent night shift is better for your health than rotating shifts.

I worked rotating shifts virtually all my working life most of it was three shifts ie day, afternoon, nights but the last 10 years of working I was on 12 hour shifts - 6 to 6.

What a difference they made. They took a while to get used to , indeed some people resigned because they didn't want to work that shift system but personally I thought they were great - far more time off.

The first night shift was hell, by midnight I felt I had been there for a week but once you got used to it they were a doddle.

I actually enjoyed my work, it was one of those jobs where you really only work when things go wrong, ie 90% boredom 10% terror, but when I reached 60 I decided there were other things I wanted to do.

(I was never actually bored - always books to read, crosswords to complete, people to chat with, plans to make etc.)
I think that will be the way my company will be heading actually Bruce, continental shifts when the new warehouse is finished. I dunno if that will be a good thing or not helth-wise, but I think the company has bitten off more than it can chew to be honest. They just cannot compete with the big boys as we're so behind the times. That's why I want to get out of there.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2018, 05:58 PM

My husband and I are really looking forward to retiring but there is no way that we could retire anytime soon We are so looking forward to doing what we want when we want. Unless we win the lotto I still have 9 years to do *sigh*
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2018, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
My husband and I are really looking forward to retiring but there is no way that we could retire anytime soon We are so looking forward to doing what we want when we want. Unless we win the lotto I still have 9 years to do *sigh*
Only 9 years? You don't imagine how envious I am, LQ
Kazz
West Mids
Kazz is female  Kazz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2018, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->
I was going to suggest this to members here! Seems a very worthwhile cause. I’d volunteer if I didn’t have the pup.
Thanks for that link I am just about to fill the form in. Never new anything like this exsisted. Many Thanks
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2018, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
Only 9 years? You don't imagine how envious I am, LQ
ahhhhhhhh yer nobbut a nipper
DaveA
Massachusetts, US
DaveA is male  DaveA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-12-2018, 04:33 AM

I retired back in 1992 at the age of 58. It's been 26 relatively healthy years of retirement for both my wife and I. In our 62 years of marriage, she only worked for 5 years, back in the 70's when our kids were full grown.

If you have a happy homelife and can afford to retire, I highly recommend an early out while you still have the ability to travel and be physically active. In our mid-80's now, the bell is starting to toll, and some of the "get up and go" has "gotten up and left"!!
GillyBean64
New Member!
Sheffield, UK
GillyBean64 is female 

06-12-2018, 08:49 PM

I’m retiring next June when I’m 55 and am taking my pension pot and moving to Spain. It’s been my plan since I was about 30, can’t believe I’ve only 6 months left. Most of the time I’m excited at the new adventures that await but occasionally I get scared, thinking I’m entering the last phase of my life 😱
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2018, 04:57 AM

Originally Posted by GillyBean64 ->
I’m retiring next June when I’m 55 and am taking my pension pot and moving to Spain. It’s been my plan since I was about 30, can’t believe I’ve only 6 months left. Most of the time I’m excited at the new adventures that await but occasionally I get scared, thinking I’m entering the last phase of my life 😱
Great idea, go somewhere warm.

Page 8 of 8 « First < 6 7 8

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top