Join for free
Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
longfellow
Chatterbox
Penthouse in Essex overlooking the Thames.
longfellow is male  longfellow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2018, 07:37 AM

Re: Trapped nerve in my back.

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I really cannot understand this Bigfella, and to be honest, it damn well annoys me at your treatment.

Have you still not had an x-ray or a scan? If not, why not?

Why do these doctors dose you up with drugs to treat a condition without knowing what the problem is even, and without a proper diagnosis??

You say the drugs are not helping very much, so how can they expect you to continue with treatment that isn't working, and in the meantime might even be creating additonal problems?

Forgive the comparison please, but can I tell you something? A long time ago one my dogs dug under a fence she shouldn't have done, and ending up slipping a disc. This was diagnosed by x-ray, which I saw myself, so I knew it was correct.

The vet prescribed painkillers, just like you have been given.
I remember thinking to myself at the time, all the painkillers in the world are not going to move a disc back where it belongs!

Fortunately, the lovely lady who has always looked after my back, also treats dogs and even horses. She is a McTimoney chiropractor.
I phoned for an appointment, lifted my dog in the car and off we went.

I stayed with her throughout the treatment, to soothe her and keep her calm, and 45 mins later, when we went back out to my car, she jumped in by herself before I coud stop her.
The difference was amazing - and drug free.

We went back to my vets a few days later and he was impressed. They re-x-rayed, and her disc had been corrected. No more pain and no more treatment.

Please give it some thought my friend. I do feel so strongly about dishing out treatments before a diagnosis.

Good luck, and I hope you can get it sorted real soon. x
Thanks Mup's I appreciate what you say and you have also made me think again about using Chiropractic. I used a osteopath only last year in Benfleet but she was not really up to much to be honest and that is why I was trying to use the gp and the NHS.

But these past 4 days have been a eye opener and I realise I may need to try a private visit again. So I have browsed in Google what you said and I am kicking myself here because there is an established Chiropractice not more that 5 mins drive away up the road. They open at 9am so I am sitting waiting now to phone them and hopefully I may get a spot this morning . There seems a group of them working from the same centre.

At least I slept a little more last night but I woke this morning in agony again,the pain is just as sharp as it was before.
Thanks again Mups and I will also try to take your advice.

Not to start digging under any fences when my back eventually gets better.

Have a good day.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2018, 11:12 AM

At least your sense of humour is still intact, Longfellow. Good luck with the chiropractor.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2018, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by longfellow ->
You must go through some of this yourself Floydy with all those workouts you do. I used to alot in my early footballing days I remember.
I reckon this could be my body telling me to restart my small training sessions.
Obviously no where near as strenuous for obvious reasons health wise as yours.
But thats no excuse I still should be doing small weights/sit ups/indoor bike riding instead of letting it all just gather dust in my bedroom.
I gave away my 5ks and 4ks to my grandson a while back but I still have the 2ks and 3ks.
No mat that went to my grand daughter but I always have the bed and carpet and the astro turf on the balcony in the summer months.
I am sorry Longfellow, but I somehow missed your reply here.

Old Grey Fox put on a recent post (that I'm damned if I can find) about staying in condition after you retire. I'm sure he won't mind me re-quoting him about this.
He mentioned that one of the main reasons he keeps up with his running is mainly to keep his body active since he retired. Far too many people leave work, especially when they used to do a fairly physical job, in order to 'take things easy' but often find that their health begins to suffer (starting with weight gain) through lack of exercise.
You don't need to join a gym and go hell-for leather on the weights or anything, but even if you make an effort to go for a brisk walk each day (or twice a day preferably) that will keep your body active. Your ligaments, bones, muscles and general well-being will get the exercise they require.

I'm going through a stiff neck episode myself at the moment, which doesn't seem to go away and I've ceased my training - but I do have my work which obviously keeps me from seizing up completely!

You seem a little more upbeat today anyway mate. Keep chatting with us with these updates and that will keep your mind active too. Either that or there's always the Jeremy Kyle Show and Keith Lemon noisefests to enjoy

Take care pal
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2018, 09:32 PM

How did you get on today Longfellow?
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2018, 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
How did you get on today Longfellow?

I wondered that, Dongle. He's been awfully quiet hasn't he.
Perhaps he couldn't get an appointment today. It was a bit short notice so maybe there were no appointments available.

Bigfella, if you did manage to get seen, I really hope it was by a good one who knew their stuff.

Let us know when you can.
longfellow
Chatterbox
longfellow is male  longfellow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-12-2018, 06:34 AM

Hi LD lets put it this way I failed miserably to get to see anyone about my problem.

Spot on Mups not able to get to see anyone they need to be given notice.
So still taking the painkillers naproxen/co codamol a few ibuprofen/paracetamols various heat creams and I even had a heat pad on the spot again all yesterday but to be honest nothing is making much difference.

I have an appointment Thursday at 6pm, that is the earliest I can get . So I guess until then I will just have to carry on floating in and out of agony.
My sleep pattern at present is about 2 hrs between midnight and 2am I sleep and then wake with the searing pain in my shoulder but at least its moved further up so it is not now giving me the splitting headaches, just the painful shoulder and neck the weak arm and fingers and the ruddy shakes so I cannot hold a cup.

I am not preparing any meals at the moment I cannot peel potatoes cannot look down for to long.
So no going out down the High Street trying to find dropped £5 notes at present. (My favourite hobby.)

Thank god the oven is fitted hip level because no way could I bend down.
So the menu for this week is chicken n chips,jacket potatoes/fish n chips,lasagne,virtually anything I can dig out of the freezer and do not need to prepare. Straight in the oven and ready for madam when she arrives home at 6pm.

Was feeling pretty sickly all yesterday being in pain continuously is not good for the concentration and I have been skipping meals which is probably why my stomach was burning/stinging like hell last night.
So I sat and ate a apple some grapes and a couple of youhurt's,whilst I was making her bait box for work that calmed it down and I was able to sleep for a few hours.

I may try to grab some more shut eye later after I have sent madam out to work.
Its costing me a small fortune in cab fairs at present as well because I dare not risk driving her to the station or back in the dark my vision to the right at present is not good because I cannot turn my head to far without pain.

Other than that all is well not spending that much time on the computer because of obvious reasons.Just watching movies and trying to doze off.

Thanks for the thoughts.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-12-2018, 08:29 AM

I hope you get sorted soon Longfellow....good luck with the appointment on Thursday.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-12-2018, 09:49 AM

I, too, hope you get it sorted. I know the misery of back pain but not a trapped nerve.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-12-2018, 10:41 AM

Longfellow, you stated:

"Was feeling pretty sickly all yesterday being in pain continuously is not good for the concentration and I have been skipping meals which is probably why my stomach was burning/stinging like hell last night.
So I sat and ate a apple some grapes and a couple of youhurt's,whilst I was making her bait box for work that calmed it down and I was able to sleep for a few hours".

What worries me about this is, that it is not so much the lack of food that is making your stomach burn, but the amount of strong pain killers you are taking. Have you being given any Omeprazle (tummy protectors)?

I am pretty sure they should not be taken on an empty stomach as well.

Don't take my word for it though, look for yourself here -

Common Naproxen side effects may include:

Indigestion, heartburn, stomach pain, nausea,
headache, dizziness, drowsiness, bruising, itching, rash,
swelling, or ringing in your ears.

See what I mean?

I really do firmly think your doctor should be sending you for an MRI to find out exactly what is going on. Pills are only a crutch, not a cure.

Sorry to nag so, but if you don't go back and tell your GP how bad you feel, he won't know will he, and probably assumes his pills have done the trick.
longfellow
Chatterbox

05-12-2018, 02:04 PM

Hi Mups yes I am on Lansoprazole 30mg I now have 6 boxes on my shelf and I take them when needed.
I find fruit and yogurt so soothing when I get the acid feeling.

Not long woke from another 2 hour nap so feeling more alert for a while.

Will see how it goes for the rest of the afternoon and if there is no improvement I will make the effort to get an early appointment in the morning and speak to her.

Thanks again to all.

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top