Join for free
Page 5 of 5 « First < 3 4 5
Psmith
melbourne australia
Psmith is male  Psmith has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2018, 08:24 PM

Re: Beggars Banquet

Originally Posted by MickB ->
I have loved both bands since the early 60's. I first saw The Who (playing as The Detours or The High Numbers) in about 1964 on the local Acton/Ealing/ Shepherds Bush music scene. The Stones I saw 2 or 3 times a week on the West London blues circuit (Ricky Tick in Windsor, Eel Pie Island, Crawdaddy and Ealing Blues Club). We never compared them, we just felt that they were both great bands.
The Last time I saw The Who was when they headlined Glastonbury in 2015. They had Zak Starkey (Ringo's son) on drums and were brilliant. All the old energy and aggression was there still.
They were both incredibly innovative bands, and, for me, left their more famous contemporaries - The Beatles- in the shade.
Their highlights for me were Keith Richard's transformation of rock/blues guitar by his abandonment of his bass string and retuning to Open G. All his amazing guitar riffs stem from this. For the Who, despite Towshend's brilliant power chords and Moon's amazing drumming, the standout element was John Entwhistle's fantastically innovative bass playing which really underpinned their whole sound.
It's good to see an actual musician give his opinion on stuff.Thanks.

Page 5 of 5 « First < 3 4 5

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top