Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-12-2018, 04:59 AM

Music Triple-header #1: Pink Floyd vs. Genesis vs. Yes

Some time ago Ffosse had some threads on here whereby he would pit two musical acts together (I think one was Neil Young vs. Bruce Springsteen) and we would discuss the merits of each and which one we liked more.

Talking with PSmith and Omah is a thread which started being about the Rolling Stones' classic album "Beggar's Banquet", Omar in particular and myself got into a "discussion" about the Stones and The Who, debating on certain merits of each band. The jury's out on that one for now, but how about having three similar acts in a thread and talking about them?
By all means make up your own threads, but please remember to pick three bands/groups/singers who are in a similar genre or style of music.

To start with then, I've selected Pink Floyd, Yes and Genesis. Three of the biggest progressive rock acts of the 1970's and beyond. Similar in some ways but very diverse in others.

I'll just join in as and when. Over to you...
Psmith
melbourne australia
Psmith is male  Psmith has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-12-2018, 05:05 AM

Re: Music Triple-header #1: Pink Floyd vs. Genesis vs. Yes

I think the obvious ones for me would be The Kinks,Squeeze and XTC.
Witty,clever stuff about every day life with good tunes.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-12-2018, 05:10 AM

Originally Posted by Psmith ->
I think the obvious ones for me would be The Kinks,Squeeze and XTC.
Witty,clever stuff about every day life with good tunes.
Do you want to start a thread on it mate, but prefix it Triple header #2, etc? We should separate these threads from each other I think
Good choices actually. Even though The Kinks were of a previous generation, these three bands were heavily to the fore on 'singwriting'. I think that would make a good thread.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-12-2018, 05:15 AM

I'll go for The Pentangle v The Incredible String Band v Fairport Convention .....
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

06-12-2018, 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
I'll go for The Pentangle v The Incredible String Band v Fairport Convention .....
Yes definitely. But you've got to do it as its own thread
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

06-12-2018, 05:33 AM

Okay. I don't have enough time now as I'm supposed to be working. Later today I'll put on a brief history about Pink Floyd, Yes and Genesis to start the ball rolling. Unless of course others have already started talking about them
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-12-2018, 09:53 AM

Pink Floyd of course!
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-12-2018, 10:59 AM

I know these three Brit acts are all from the same era but I can't really comment on Genesis or Yes, I never listened to them much. There are limits.

I liked a couple of Floyd's 60s singles, listened to Dark Side of the Moon endlessly when it came out, and loved it, it was playing at all the parties. Then we explored earlier works: Ummagumma, Atom Heart Mother, and Meddle ... all good. Post Dark Side of the Moon? the next two were good, The Wall ... def. going downhill by that stage.

So that's me ... Pink Floyd over the other two. The early 70s were pretentious times, led to the blues scene.

Meddle
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-12-2018, 11:21 AM

"Shine on you Crazy Diamond" has to be the best track ever by anyone. I could listen to it all day.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-12-2018, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
"Shine on you Crazy Diamond" has to be the best track ever by anyone. I could listen to it all day.
You Crazy Diamond, you.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top