Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2018, 08:29 PM

Your favourite Christmas plant

Do you have a favourite plant that you buy for Christmas?

Mr Mags always buys me a red Poinsettia and a red Cyclamen, he's never missed a year I like the Christmassy atmosphere that those two plants add to a room..... and they last for ages.
wild blueberry
Toronto, Canada
wild blueberry is female  wild blueberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2018, 08:57 PM

Re: Your favourite Christmas plant

Originally Posted by Mags ->

Mr Mags always buys me a red Poinsettia and a red Cyclamen, he's never missed a year I like the Christmassy atmosphere that those two plants add to a room..... and they last for ages.
I love poinsettia's Mags,and they last and last.
I actually like any plants with evergreen and berries on it. Especially frosted berries....
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2018, 09:18 PM

Always have an amaryllis bulb we start off 6 weeks before Christmas usually flowers Christmas week. It's planted out in the garden in the spring and following spring comes up in another lovely bloom.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2018, 09:48 PM

Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2018, 09:54 PM

A xmas pudding tree or mince pie bush !!!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2018, 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Always have an amaryllis bulb we start off 6 weeks before Christmas usually flowers Christmas week. It's planted out in the garden in the spring and following spring comes up in another lovely bloom.

Julie, I too, love to see Amaryllis at Christmas, I have two on the go as we speak.

Only thing is, I can never, ever get them to rebloom the following year, no matter how I nuture them.
I have checked, and rechecked loads of gardening information on this problem, but the next year, all I get is leaves but no buds.

I have even picked the brains of my friend at the local garden centre. He used to be head gardener at one of the big manor houses near here.
Even he said they often don't flower every single year.

So after seeing your post, I am intrigued.
Will you please tell me exactly what you do, including feeding, temperature and compost please.

Ta muchly.

* I also usually have some indoor hyacinths, as they remind me of Mum. She loved blue hyacinths at Christmas.

I haven't got any Cyclamen this year, not yet anyway. I usually have them though.

Never been keen on the traditional Poinsettias - sorry Mags.

I always believed them to be poisonous to cats and dogs, but I have since learned they are more likely to upset their tummies if ingested, rather kill. Still not keen on them though.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2018, 09:50 AM

I love hyacinths, the purple ones seem to smell nicer for some reason.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2018, 11:06 AM

I am very fond of the NSW Christmas Bush unfortunately it is not fond of my clay soils

...and they grow up to 6 metres tall
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2018, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by Mags ->

Buys you a poinsettia!! Is he mad?

Just snap off a branch and stick it in the ground. Grows like a weed -100% success rate - can't kill the bastards.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2018, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Julie, I too, love to see Amaryllis at Christmas, I have two on the go as we speak.

Only thing is, I can never, ever get them to rebloom the following year, no matter how I nuture them.
I have checked, and rechecked loads of gardening information on this problem, but the next year, all I get is leaves but no buds.

I have even picked the brains of my friend at the local garden centre. He used to be head gardener at one of the big manor houses near here.
Even he said they often don't flower every single year.

So after seeing your post, I am intrigued.
Will you please tell me exactly what you do, including feeding, temperature and compost please.

Ta muchly.

* I also usually have some indoor hyacinths, as they remind me of Mum. She loved blue hyacinths at Christmas.

I haven't got any Cyclamen this year, not yet anyway. I usually have them though.

Never been keen on the traditional Poinsettias - sorry Mags.

I always believed them to be poisonous to cats and dogs, but I have since learned they are more likely to upset their tummies if ingested, rather kill. Still not keen on them though.
They never flower two years straight when we put them outside they flower next spring, not first spring, we only started putting them out because we could never get them to flower second time indoors.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top