Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
wild blueberry
Toronto, Canada
wild blueberry is female  wild blueberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2018, 01:14 AM

Realist - cracks in my thumb

Every year at about this time, when the weather is starting to get cold, I get a crack in my thumb on my right thumb. It gets very sore, throbbing and it lasts most of the winter. I cannot use that thumb for a lot of things because of this painful crack. Exactly the same place every year.

Would you be able to tell me what to do about it?

I use flexible colodium usually, but that has it's difficulties also....when it starts to peal off.....

Your help will be appreciated...

Blue
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2018, 01:22 AM

Re: Realist - cracks in my thumb

wild blueberry
Toronto, Canada
wild blueberry is female  wild blueberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2018, 01:25 AM

Oh, you have gone fishing....let me know when you get back..that bobber is the wrong colour it should be yellow. The fish can see the red ones.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2018, 02:09 AM

Google it, Bluey. That's what Realist would do. Wikipedia will have advice

Seriously, I get chapped fingers through a combination of things, mostly centered around work: Working in cold conditions and alternatively when it's too hot that my skin hasn't got the moisture it needs, so I use creams. This also happens if I'm handling cardboard or working in dusty areas, so I wear gloves if possible.
There is a great one called "Working hands" which you can buy from all DIY stores and larger supermarkets - although I'm not sure they stock it in Canada?
Try also to keep yourself hydrated. Drink plenty of water.
wild blueberry
Toronto, Canada

17-12-2018, 04:08 AM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
Google it, Bluey. That's what Realist would do. Wikipedia will have advice

Seriously, I get chapped fingers through a combination of things, mostly centered around work: Working in cold conditions and alternatively when it's too hot that my skin hasn't got the moisture it needs, so I use creams. This also happens if I'm handling cardboard or working in dusty areas, so I wear gloves if possible.
There is a great one called "Working hands" which you can buy from all DIY stores and larger supermarkets - although I'm not sure they stock it in Canada?
Try also to keep yourself hydrated. Drink plenty of water.
thanks for all this good advice Floyd..I think you hit the nail on the head about keeping hydrated, I think that is the roblem, I am not drinking enough water. I don't like water so I tend to foret agout it.

I will make some changes starting tomorow, I'll put a jug on the counter with some lemon and lime in it.....

Thanks Floyd, that was nice of you to help me out here.......

Blue x
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2018, 04:57 AM

Originally Posted by wild blueberry ->
thanks for all this good advice Floyd..I think you hit the nail on the head about keeping hydrated, I think that is the roblem, I am not drinking enough water. I don't like water so I tend to foret agout it.

I will make some changes starting tomorow, I'll put a jug on the counter with some lemon and lime in it.....

Thanks Floyd, that was nice of you to help me out here.......

Blue x
Or orange squash or cranberry juice.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2018, 09:30 AM

"Working hands" plus a thing like this ... if not possible during the day, then at night.

https://www.workshopheaven.com/suede...rd-medium.html
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2018, 09:39 AM

Floydy has given you the same kind of advice that I would have, the Winters here are very cold and my skin also suffers. I use a hand cream in the Winter called Fisherman's Handcream, very intense stuff and very good. You can get it in any Chemist and a lot of Supermarkets, and of course online. If you Google it you can see what's available in your area. Also have a wee word with the Chemist when your in, see what he/she thinks, I often do that as it can be hard to get an appointment with the doctor, turns out their advice sorts me out just fine. Also get it now before it gets too sore, prevention is better than cure.
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2018, 10:06 AM

Definitely advise the fisherman’s handcream , a brand name here is Neutrogena. My dermatologist prescribed it for my husbands hands which were getting cement cracks and he’s never suffered since
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2018, 10:37 AM

Love this thread.
We have some very knowledgeable snd caring people on here

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top