Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2018, 12:45 PM

Re: Impatient door thumpers.

Folks need a bit of delivery person empathy, say, its hissing down with rain, you have no canopy over the front door, you have your tele blasting, the geezer has rang the bell three times already, you only heard it on the fourth occasion, you have no idea the poor chap has been standing in the torrent for five minutes already!!!!
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2018, 12:47 PM

I would hate to be a Courier, especially on a Push Bike.
Nicol
South east of England
Nicol is female  Nicol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2018, 12:55 PM

Speaking from an ex-postie point of view, don't knock it til you've done the job.

The amount of bells that don't actually work is unbelievable and eventually you don't bother with them at all.

They (couriers, not just RM staff) knock loudly to make sure you hear them as there are many complaints made that state "I don't know why your courier left a card, I was in, maybe they didn't knock loud enough".

And couriers today are indeed under a lot of pressure, especially at this time of year.

If they leave the parcel on your doorstep they're wrong because it could get nicked. If they take it back and leave a card they're wrong because it's inconvenient for the recipient. If they leave it with a neighbour they're wrong because some people hate their neighbours.

It's a crap job.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2018, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Folks need a bit of delivery person empathy, say, its hissing down with rain, you have no canopy over the front door, you have your tele blasting, the geezer has rang the bell three times already, you only heard it on the fourth occasion, you have no idea the poor chap has been standing in the torrent for five minutes already!!!!
They have a nice indoors area to wait here spitty, and with dogs first ring in fact only half a ring we are aware someone is ringing or thumping.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

17-12-2018, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
They have a nice indoors area to wait here spitty, and with dogs first ring in fact only half a ring we are aware someone is ringing or thumping.

Yeh but, the geezer may have been in the afore mentioned situation before reaching your gaff!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2018, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by Nicol ->
Speaking from an ex-postie point of view, don't knock it til you've done the job.

The amount of bells that don't actually work is unbelievable and eventually you don't bother with them at all.
Exactly what I was going to say!

I'd much prefer the postie to press the button and knock just in case, as batteries do run out as ours has in the past.

Not any more, hopefully, as the ringer is plugged into the mains and the bell push doesn't have a battery. Instead, it has a coil and magnet so that when the button is pressed a small electrical current is induced which is sufficient to send a radio signal to the ringer.

Still, I suppose that, even then, the thing might go tits-up eventually and I'd appreciate a good knocking!
peripheral
GB
peripheral is male  peripheral has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2018, 05:55 PM

There is a difference between knocking on the door and putting the house into an earthquake that measures seven on the Richtea scale. RICH TEA SCALE? Where did that come from? I, of course, meant to say Richter scale. That's old age for you. Silly old me.
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2018, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Unfortunately that doesn't always happen here. If we miss a Post Office delivery, we can't collect it from the parcel office for 24 hours. It used to be 4 hours but they must have decided that was too helpful for customers.
Ain"t that the truth Longy.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2018, 06:25 PM

Thump 'em back. See how they like it
Nicol
South east of England
Nicol is female  Nicol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2018, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Unfortunately that doesn't always happen here. If we miss a Post Office delivery, we can't collect it from the parcel office for 24 hours. It used to be 4 hours but they must have decided that was too helpful for customers.
The reason it's now 24 hours is because of cuts.

When RM was opened up to competition they had to make the business pay for itself. One way of saving money was to make all delivery routes (walks) bigger. The average walk used to take around 2.5 hours, now it takes more like 5.

In your local delivery office there is a place called The Locker. This is where all the undelivered parcels get taken. The locker is only open for part of the day (until 2pm here). If your postie leaves you an "undelivered" docket he can't guarantee to be back at the sorting office before the locker closes. If he isn't back before it closes your parcel won't get logged in that day. It has to wait til the next day when another member of staff does the logging in.

Hence you can't collect for 24 hours.

If you want to blame anyone then blame whichever government it was that saw fit to privatise the postal service

Sorry but I get really wound up when I think posties are being given a hard time.

As I said before, walk a mile (or 10) in my (old) shoes.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top